Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Daily Headlines: News From the Internet for March 5, 2015
ALSO
Page 257 of 257 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257
Results 3,841 to 3,852 of 3852

Thread: Transit Fantasy Maps

1. Default

Yeah the express train towards pickering airport is supposed to be the UPX for Toronto Pickering and will only be done as long as the airport is made. Now that I look back on the Lakeshore West Line, I think that I should of extended it to at least Stoney Creek. And both the Midtown and Uptown Bypasses would be better if they went into durham.

Here’s an update of my map old map, but with some tweaks I did last night in response to murmurings of whether the SELRT and FWLRT will be canceled. I wanted to see how an affordable Sheppard East subway extension would look, so I added it in. It’s mostly a copy of Neptis’ idea of creating a ‘Scarboro Wye’; with track mostly built overtop/under the 401. As well I added a subway on Finch West using the hydro corridor, but it’s as a looped Y/U-S: with the Yonge section instead going to VMC, and U-S to Jane/Finch.

There are a few other changes, like a waterfront light metro line going to the mammoth Hearn site, and a more express RH-King relief line.

Name:  44N_King-DRL_Crosstown.png
Views: 807
Size:  311.7 KB

My minivan moves more people per hour than a Finch subway would. The Sheppard east subway... Well we all know the situation with that. I cringe at the thought of what kind of operational subsidies these would necessitate.

Is that red line subway rapid transit?
    Last edited by TheTigerMaster; 2015-Feb-13 at 19:16.
    We've got a good thing going.

Well in a world with infinite money that is a good network 44North. I would maybe complete the map with a Sheppard West extension.

IMO a Sheppard East subway will only make sense paired together with the B-D extension. I would have the B-D extension go northwest from STC to Agincourt, then it is 3 stops (Birchmount, Warden, Victoria Park) to Don Mills. That is roughly 4.2 KM of tunnel between Agincourt and the Don Mills tunnel.
    ~ Resident Midtown elitist

@TigerMaster

I agree about how Finch West and Sheppard East would have low ridership and high costs if built as subways. I was actually hesitant to draw them in for this reason. Basically I wanted to see how Shep East could look if built affordably (i.e – using Neptis’ idea of conversion, and building along the 401 corridor).

I also don’t agree all that much with a subway on Finch West. However, there is the hydro corridor which could lower costs of tunnelling, trenching, or elevating. There was a plan to use it ~25 years ago to “close the loop” between Y and U-S, which makes sense from an operations pov. And I think it looks kinda cool to have a line interline with itself.

Although the Red line I’d categorize as RER because of the service it offers, it’s interlined with the Crosstown on the map – so it would use Light Rail in this fantasy. I recall presenting something like this before, and Gweed mentioned using trains of different length for each branch. So the RH branch could use 3-car operation, and the Morningside branch could use 4 or 5 car. Or something, I’m not really sure – but I’d prefer to keep it more in-line with the Crosstown than GO RER. Somewhat like a tram-train or Stadtbahn (not to be confused with S-Bahn). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtbahn

@wisahd

I agree, anything like this would be costly. But for the most part it is surface rail – either as upgrades to existing corridors, or new elevated/surface lines/extensions. Aside from a few sections of tunnel on Don Mills, Finch, Yonge, and King – most additions would run in the open air.

And personally I don’t really want Sheppard extended; either east or west. I think with B/D, Lakeshore, Crosstown, 407 Transitway, and maybe the Midtown corridor - we have cross-city service pretty well covered. Any added E/W service is overkill IMO. And although I agree that looping B/D with Sheppard could be cool, for the most part I don’t want to extend our existing subway system if there are light RT options that can be used instead. IMO converting Sheppard to a light mode seems more optimal than having it run as 6-car subways. Any next map of mine would probably be much more bare bones and realistic.

From all the talk of elevated rail that was going on in the Smart Track thread, I thought I’d try to make a schematic of Vancouver’s Skytrain. Not sure if it's geographically accurate...it’s mostly a basic trace of Translink’s current map - but using the standard I made up for my other map (i.e - black background, hard angles, bold colours, retro font/look). I also added Evergreen, the proposed Broadway ext to UBC, and made WCE into an RT service. I like Skytrain...it's a shame we've underinvested in the SRT and allowed it to deteriorate.

Name:  Skytrain-future-schematic_Evergreen_Broadview.png
Views: 478
Size:  185.3 KB

Great work on the Vancouver map but your Millenium/Evergreen Line extension is incorrect.

Currently the line ends at VCC Clarke with the BLine bus serving Broadway/UBC. The future extension will not take it to UBC for at least 20 years. The current plan will now only take the line to Arbutus. After that people will use the shortened BLine to UBC. Also there is no plans to have either Millenium or Evergreen trains short turn.............both will terminate at Arbutus.

I like the idea of using the TTC map model on other cities' transit systems. Kudos!

I liked it a little too much it seems. I decided to use my time this morning to imitate your map for Montreal's metro system.

As far as I know, the Yellow line from Jean-Drapeau to Longueuil is almost parallel with the Green line Atwater to Beaudry and the Orange Line from Bonaventure to Champ-de-Mars. So something looks off there. There's also too much distnace on the Blue line north-south from Parc to Snowdown. Parc should line up with Namur. Rosemont with Cote-Ste-Catherine. Laurier with Snowdon.

Other than that, looks reasonable. Though I prefer the Montreal graphics.

@ssiguy
    Thanks. And you’re correct abt the expansion. I haven’t been following what’s been going on in vancouver all that much, and I had a hard time finding official maps of future lines that I could use to replicate – so I basically guessed how the Broadway ext could look.

@wisahd
    I don’t really consider the TTC’s styling as a standard, and I find their schematic to be kinda bs. Although I like the colour scheme, I don’t care for the overtly excessive distortion on the n/s axis, their free use of angles outside of 45 and 90, and that the schematic seems to change all the time. Much of this has to do with how the map must conform to the narrow space between the train’s ceiling and wall, which I think is also quite bs. Montreal OTH seems to have a proper standard, and more of a model that can be followed.

As for you Montreal map - although I like it, I think I’d prefer it minus the replication of certain features unique to my maps (i.e – cream-coloured border, same north arrow symbol, the title's placement/font/italicization). I use those as pseudo-trademarks of sorts. But otherwise, good job.

Apologies for that, I literally took your Toronto map and started editing around.

I realize TTC's styling is not a standard and has many many issues, but it is a style that I have grown up with and am used to. Seeing it done for other cities is fascinating.