News   Apr 15, 2024
 936     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

When is modern post-modern and vice versa?

M

michaelpfox

This may be an academic exercise, but if a new building is designed to reference an historic one, and the building being referenced (or its designer) is a modern one, is this not an exercise in post-modernism?

One example that comes to mind is Peter Clewes Miesian condo planned for Jarvis and Bloor (the old police hq).

mpf:

PoMo as used refers to the philosophical/stylistic critique of Modernism (more like "beyond Modernism"), and not the temporal factor per se.

I'd imagine Clewes' Miesian condo would be considered as Neo-Modern instead.

GB

I don't think what I'm saying above is limited to a temporal issue. Many buildings going up now are utilizing the language of modernism in a philosophically infused manor. Is there no difference in the authenticity of the TD Centre and the Clewes condo? I love Clewes' work, but I think there is.

mpf:

Is there no difference in the authenticity of the TD Centre and the Clewes condo? I love Clewes' work, but I think there is.

Oh I think there is as well - but often PoMo explictly defined as how it isn't Modernism.

In the case of Clewes' GG project, not having enough info, it's hard to say just how "hard" Modernist it is, compared to the softer versions (with consideration towards context, etc). Still, it's difficult to call those projects "PoMo" in any sense of the word...

GB

PoMo is almost a rejection, and in its crudest form, a mocking, of "Modernism" as represented by the aesthetic of a TD Centre. While Clewes may not be 'pure' modernism, he is certainly not rejecting the look.

Back