2.4K     4 

On the Tilted Tip Top Tailor Sign

G

GeekyBoyTO

From the Globe:

SKEW-HAHA: YES, IT'S CROOKED AND NO, THEY WON'T FIX IT

By LEAH McLAREN
Saturday, December 3, 2005 Page M1

Most people are familiar with the Tip Top Tailors sign, that cherry neon monolith that sits atop a landmark condo conversion on Lake Shore Boulevard. But in recent months, you may have noticed something different about it: It's crooked. And if you've been waiting patiently for the past six months for the developers to adjust it, don't hold your breath. The cockeyed sign is now a permanent fixture of the city's west-end skyline.

That's right: It's intentional.

"It's a practical joke. It's just fun. There's nothing deeper to it than that," said Peter Clewes, the architect behind the Tip Top Lofts condo project. "Toronto's far too serious. It needed something quirky."

Trouble is, while everyone who lives and works in the area now has to look at the wonky sign, not everyone shares Mr. Clewes's sense of humour.

"I walked by the sign for weeks thinking, 'That's a funny place to leave it,' before I realized that was where it was going to stay," said Dennis Bryant, a home renovator who lives and works in the area. "Aesthetically, it just doesn't fit. It's a funky effect, but it's not a particularly funky building."

Other residents complain that the design is too clever for its own good. "I think they're trying to be jaunty, and it looks like they've tried too hard," says Ed Hanley, a musician who lives just south of the sign. "It gets a bit Krusty-the-Clown when things get off on an angle like that."

But for the project's developers, the lopsided billing is part of the evolution of the building.

"It's a tip of the hat to the new construction!" raves Nick Whittington, the on-site agent in charge of condo sales. He admits that he often gets "wise guys" who wander into his sales office with a smirk on their faces just to let him know his sign is askew. "They're just giving me a little jab in the ribs. They get the joke. I think it's brilliant humour."

As for those people who see the sign as an irritating eyesore -- a cockeyed picture frame in the distance that they can never reach out and straighten -- Mr. Whittington says, get over it. "Someone like that has missed the point."

"I don't see enormously anal people getting involved in the project."

But it's not just buyers who have to look at the sign -- it's the entire city. And as irritation over the Tip Top tilt grows, the debate is beginning to sound a lot like the controversy a few years ago about the overhanging sign on U of T's Graduate House at Harbord and Spadina.

While the angle is obviously a bone of contention, most residents claim to like the sign itself. "I'm all for leaving old things and having an attachment to the past. It just looks like they stuck it up there," says John DeCarlo, owner of Codes Pro Media, a small business that operates in full view of the Tip Top emblem.

Most people in the area say they do feel, however, that an excellent job has been done restoring and reconfiguring one of Toronto's most iconic art-deco industrial buildings.

The building's transformation from shirt factory to residential space included a six-storey addition. That effectively doubled its size, raising the controversial sign to twice its original height. On the original 1920s structure, there were three large neon signs, facing north, west and east. When Context began construction, it took them down, and decided to salvage the best letters from all three. Mr. Clewes says Grafton Fraser, the company that now owns the Tip Top name, thought the sign was "great publicity."

Now that the sign has been up for half a year, some people in the neighbourhood are getting used to it. Jane Neff, a local garden designer, is one of the few vocal defenders in the neighbourhood. "I like that it's a new twist," she said. "It's the only quirky thing about an otherwise spiffy building. And it's subtle enough that it's not too tiresome."

As for the project managers, they don't seem concerned about the local grumblings. And why would they? The building is complete and nearing capacity. Just last week, Mr. Whittington says he sold $2.7-million worth of square footage. And, last summer, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones even stopped in to take a look, sent by their friend Gerry Schwartz.

Did they say anything about the sign?

"Sadly," Mr. Whittington admits, "they did not."

GB

I almost thought this project was going to turn out to be a real jewel.Reality check this is Toronto.Just cant leave well alone,got to be differnt.

I think the tilted sign indicates to people that the building is no longer the office of Tip Top Tailors.
The other option is to simply remove the sign completely - but I gather it is of historical importance.

I almost thought this project was going to turn out to be a real jewel.Reality check this is Toronto.Just cant leave well alone,got to be differnt.

Yes, this is Toronto where expectation seems to be larger than life

The other option is to simply remove the sign completely - but I gather it is of historical importance

more of a marketing feature considering 2 of 3 signs were removed

People will complain about anything... The sign is crooked for fun. For fun!

bk078.jpg

"People will complain about anything." Yes, and we have learned that our press will quote and report on anyone who complains. They may have to search far and wide, and they will fail to take a representative sample, but they will certainly find someone who is complaining about something.

Yes, and we have learned that our press will quote and report on anyone who complains. They may have to search far and wide, and they will fail to take a representative sample, but they will certainly find someone who is complaining about something.
If you cannot find a controversy, try to manufacture one.

Yeah leah, you are running out of ideas. getting old i guess. I'd say this sign will probably be nixed within the decade--too high maintenance costs.

The sign was tilted on all of the original renderings if I remember correctly.

There was a crane removing the sign yesterday -- I tried googling but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know why it is being removed? I'm guessing it is being repaired or retrofitted or something and will be replaced.

There was a crane removing the sign yesterday -- I tried googling but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know why it is being removed? I'm guessing it is being repaired or retrofitted or something and will be replaced.

I noticed some condos in the building that were for sale went off the market too - one was right under the sign. I wonder if this has anything to do with the units which have balconies under the sign.

Back