News   Apr 17, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Eaton Centre media tower damaged by wind

I

interchange42

Media Statement from Toronto Eaton Centre

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp TORONTO, March 15 /CNW/ - Officials from Toronto Eaton Centre have
confirmed that as a result of excessively high winds, a portion of its media
tower at the corners of Yonge and Dundas Streets fell to the sidewalk at
approximately 2:15 PM this afternoon.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Toronto emergency services were on site immediately and transported one
person to hospital for medical treatment.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp With public safety their first priority, Toronto Eaton Centre continues
to closely monitor the situation. Updates to follow.

I'll have some pics posted in a few minutes. A buddy of mine was there when it happened and happened to have his camera with him - though he didn't catch the falling pieces on film he did still get some pics.

Here's a few pics
IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6639.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

The damages
IMG_6665.JPG

Is that Gord Martineau?
IMG_6656.JPG

Three people injured when sign falls off Eaton Centre
Yonge-Dundas intersection closed after accident
Mar. 15, 2006. 03:56 PM
CURTIS RUSH
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

Three people were hurt this afternoon when a sign fell from a building at the Eaton Centre and struck them at the corner of Yonge and Dundas Sts.
The accident happened about 2:10 p.m. when a sign became dislodged and came crashing down on the sidewalk, hitting the three people.

The victims were taken to hospital.

Police said one man was bleeding from the head.

Police are investigating whether strong winds shook the sign loose. Winds have been gusting up to 80 km/h over the past couple of days.

Police cordoned off the intersection.

Ouch. Can't imagine how much that would hurt to get hit in the head by one of those. Hope the guy recovers.

Wow Cassiusa, that is up-to-the-minute info. Thanks!

The guy who was hit in the head is apparently alright. And that was not Gord Martineau (that guy is too tall!!!!).

Thanks for the pix, next time its really windy i'll stay away from that entrance.. lol..

In tangentially related news, re the Premier Health Spa at the top of Bay on Davenport, I noticed over the past couple of days the metal at the base of its freestanding sign peeling off...revealing a strange triangular cutout.

Since this was once a Goodyear showroom, I'm presuming it's the one-time base for a Goodyear sign...

Given the shoddy, bargain-basement quality of construction and materials around the square in general, better stear clear of Yonge-Dundas in inclement weather. Could be damaging to one's health!

On Bay Street I noticed that one of those new street signs that are in the shape of historic signs, but larger and flimsier, had fallen apart due to the wind. If those things start whipping around in a breeze, none of us is safe.

I was in Times Square NYC a couple of years ago when the same thing happened. A massive light standard came crashing down from about 100 feet up and missed me by 10 feet or so.

Unlike Toronto where the whole area is taped off, police and a few workers were quickly on scene the clean up and cart all the evidence of an accident away.

Back