News   Mar 28, 2024
 458     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 782     0 

Solara Condos - Real Estate -

B

Bored Planner

Hey There,

I've recently been looking into purchasing a unit at Solara - www.solaracondos.com/intro.html

A condo building completed in 2003 at the intersection of Keele/Rogers. I know the area isn't much to look at but it's not too far from Corso, the Bloor Line and HWY 400 for an easy commute. The units are priced below the average for the City (given the 'non prime' location) which makes it a decent value in my eyes since I won't be 'house poor' and I'll have a bit more money to play with.

Anyway, any insight as to this area, purchasing in the area, what may/may not happen in the future?

Thanks,

I know the area pretty well and it does seem to improving...there are some businesses that have recently opened, eg a few restaurants, a bakery, etc...it's definately not prime real estate, but it does offer excellent value...personally I think the building is pretty cool looking, especially considering they build it on an exisiting above ground parking lot, not a pretty thing to look at believe me...so go for it, get in the real estate game, start building some equity...plus with all the money you save you can enjoy the Market Grille which is at your door, offers great food and great value...keep us posted

I don't live in it but I actually went to see couple of units for sale a few months ago. One unit was a penthouse and the other unit was on the fifth floor with a 650 sqft terrace.
The terrace is located above the podium.

I really liked them and was considering buying the unit with the 650 sqft terrace. But some of the disadvantages outweighted the advantages, so I decided to pass on it.

Advantages:
- Location, close to trendy neighbourhoods and downtown.
- Great prices for what you get. 1000sqft corner unit with an additional 650 sqft terrace with somewhat of a city view for only less than 250k
- Unique looking building
- well maintained, by just looking at condition of the lobby, elevators and the hallways

Disadvantages:
- Electrical heating ($$$$) and they take up large spaces in each room.
- Location, yes you live close to trendy neighbourhoods, but the actual neighbourhood you live in is not great (but has future potentials). I was harassed twice by people trying to sell perfume and chocolate bars in the parking lot. Oh, and your next door neighbour is a massive value village plaza.
- Lack of security, apparently the rooftop patio was closed due to incident with teenagers breaking in and drinking.

If my budget was tight, I would have bought that unit. Inner suburbs have large potentials. Very risky but could be rewarding in the future.

My budget is a bit on the tight side so definitely an option for me.

You were actually harassed in the parking lot???

Bummer about the security though - may be a deal breaker. Did think the mls listing I saw mentioned security guard.

They do have security and a security desk as you enter the lobby. They may have implemented a stronger security system in place after the incident. I was told by the seller's agent about the rooftop incident. You may need to get more information as to what happened.

Yes I was harassed. Not the actual building parking lot, but the parking lot at the value village, where I had parked.

Back