News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

London, UK - May/June 2015

MafaldaBoy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've never been to London, but it looks like the most North American city in Europe in a lot of photos--a city with many high-rise buildings, modernist facades, brick rowhouses and asphalt pavement everywhere. Generally speaking, however, the public realm looks to be built to European standards.

I've never been to London, but it looks like the most North American city in Europe in a lot of photos--a city with many high-rise buildings, modernist facades, brick rowhouses and asphalt pavement everywhere. Generally speaking, however, the public realm looks to be built to European standards.

I agree; the area that most resembles North American-style development is Canary Wharf, with its contemporary glass office towers. I haven't been to a lot of the city yet so I can't comment too much on its public realm as of yet.

King's Cross Railway Station [National Rail]

King's Cross Railway Station by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

These photos are amazing. Love the railway station photos as I'm a big rail fan as well.

The last photo is stunning. London has a a great skyline. Seems like their downtown isn't full of ugly generic condos like Toronto's downtown. I remember flying in on a BA flight and it flew over downtown London, and the skyline looked crazy impressive from above.

These photos are amazing. Love the railway station photos as I'm a big rail fan as well.

The last photo is stunning. London has a a great skyline. Seems like their downtown isn't full of ugly generic condos like Toronto's downtown. I remember flying in on a BA flight and it flew over downtown London, and the skyline looked crazy impressive from above.

Thanks! I agree with you; while I can see why some people may think of the City's skyline to be a bit tacky, personally I think there's really nice variation. There are lots of examples of British architecture that are much more classy and elegant compared to what we have here. Toronto's architects could learn a thing or two!

Right in the heart of the City is the Leadenhall Building, across the street from Lloyd's and just steps from 30 St. Mary Axe:

Leadenhall Building
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Back