359     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Density Creep

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
More Midtown NIMBYism:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/25/midtowners-battle-the-rise-of-the-midrise.html

So are you a density creep? I think I am one.

AoD

The group of about 50 neighbours claims the project — a four-storey, 80-unit building that will replace eight properties from 200-214 Keewatin Ave. — will ruin their stretch of million-dollar homes set on deep, private lots.

Oh, the humanity!

I'll give the neighbourhood this: At least they are forthright about their opposition to the developments, that is, they are 100% based on concern over property values. Similar protests in Leslieville and The Beaches are usually woven in the narrative of "quality of life" and "streetscape vitality." North Toronto residents are quite upfront in saying "Don't touch our fiefdom, and keep the peasants away."

Last edited:
"Concerned about my property value going down." Isn't that a good thing? Aren't property taxes based on the assessment values, which is based on the property values? Looks like these folks want the property values to go, so they will be paying higher property taxes. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it (higher property values).

The problem with these NIMBY groups is that their views are so rooted in self-interest, they lack the perspective to effectively argue their case. Property values are a ridiculous point to make because, most likely, this project will nudge their values upwards. A better starting point would be to ask for the various parking lots between Keewatin and Soudan be filled before a precedent-setting move into the single family home area.

But "density creep" is a nasty term, turning two positives, "density" and a "modest pace" into a negative.

It is so stupid to protest against a 4 story building. I would build 50 40s towers just to upset them.

I'd be concerned if developers started buying out single-family houses for land assemblies, renting out the houses in the interim and running them into the ground. That would lower property values. Apparently, that's what developers did when they built those high-rise apartments at High Park in the 1960s. As the streets declined with poorly maintained houses and bad tenants, people were more likely to sell their single-family houses at lower prices.

But that isn't the problem here.

densitycreep.jpg

This made me laugh.

Attachments

• densitycreep.jpg
    densitycreep.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,010

Back