• Between 1 to 1½ hours

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Over 1½ hours

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

James

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm simply curious as to how long your regular daily commute is. Whether you walk, cycle, take public transit or drive and whether you're regularly going to school, work or someplace else on a daily basis, I'm curious as to how much time you spend commuting. Just a simple poll. :)

I'm simply curious as to how long your regular daily commute is. Whether you walk, cycle, take public transit or drive and whether you're regularly going to school, work or someplace else on a daily basis, I'm curious as to how much time you spend commuting. Just a simple poll. :)

Cheating as I'm not in Toronto, but we're a 15mn commute as I drop kid 2 at school on the way. But we chose our house to allow for that. Guy on my desk is 20-45mn depending on traffic.

Rouge Valley to Humber College North is 1h20 in good traffic with GO. In rush hour in can be in excess of 2h. Driving on the 407 is about 45min, but I rarely get to do that.

Walking both ways.

I'm at 45m there (to drop kids off at school) and 5m home.

I'm moving next week so it'll be 20m walking in both directions.

I start each day off by hang gliding from the top of the Scarborough Bluffs, and landing at Tommy Thompson Park. From there, I swim into and across the inner harbour (butterfly stroke), and exit the water via a ladder at the back of Captain John's boat. Once I step foot on land, I then flag down a squeegee kid and get him to dry me off (I carry a Shamwow in my pocket in case I need a backup plan). After drying off, I then cartwheel and barrel roll my way to Toronto North Station, where I hop onto a moving boxcar on the CPR. I vacate the train at the top of the steel truss bridge in Charles Sauriol Conservation Area and rappel down, using my shoelaces and snakeskin belt. By this time I'm usually pretty thirsty, so I whip out my empty cantine (a Newman's Own container) and fill it with water from the Don River, and add in a couple of Reese peanut butter cups to really quench my thirst. Next, I head northbound along the trail to the old Don Mills ski hill. From here, I latch onto the old ski lift poles with some reeds and pull myself up the bank of the ravine. After exiting the valley, I make my way out to Lawrence Ave E. At this time I call my chauffeur, who drives me to the unemployment office.

The entire commute takes about 4 minutes and 27 seconds.

Cheating as I'm not in Toronto, but we're a 15mn commute as I drop kid 2 at school on the way. But we chose our house to allow for that. Guy on my desk is 20-45mn depending on traffic.

Did you leave Riverdale for Barbados? If so, I'd say any commute of your's would be much more enjoyable than any of our's!

I am an hour to hour 15....whether I drive or take transit......seems to be the same time most time. Transit more predictable so in bad weather I tend to transit..in normal conditions tend to drive.

Rouge Valley to Humber College North is 1h20 in good traffic with GO. In rush hour in can be in excess of 2h. Driving on the 407 is about 45min, but I rarely get to do that.

You're a dedicated and patient individual. I'd guess that your 407 trip would be in the ballpark of $10 per one-way trip or thereabouts? It'd definitely add up if you were to do that every day. That's a tough commute. GO is most surely your best option.

Walking both ways.

I'm at 45m there (to drop kids off at school) and 5m home.

I'm moving next week so it'll be 20m walking in both directions.

45 minute walk? That's some pretty good exercise right there. On the other hand, I could definitely get used to a 20 minute daily walk.

I am an hour to hour 15....whether I drive or take transit......seems to be the same time most time. Transit more predictable so in bad weather I tend to transit..in normal conditions tend to drive.

Having both options available (and feasible) to you is a very fortunate situation to be in! Most people I know who drive do so simply because it'd take much too long via public transit. And those who take public transit, do so because it'd be silly to drive into that rush hour congestion.

Bloor-Yonge to Finch:

Subway - 30 minutes
Biking - 40 minutes

Lately I've been biking since I like the exercise in the morning and it's free.

By bike, 30 minutes.*
Walking + bus: +-40 minutes

*Includes getting it out of storage and locking it up. Actual ride time is about 20 minutes to (uphill) and 15 minutes back.

EDIT: When I was commuting to York, I would usually have to budget about 1 1/2 hours by Viva, by GO or YRT via Major Mackenzie and Keele buses I was looking at 50 minutes. However that was before the Viva construction got underway on the eastern part of Highway 7. So if I were going there now I would probably take GO exclusively, damn the expense, as Viva would likely take 2+ hours.

EDIT2: Updated travel times to be more accurate.

Last edited:
Having both options available (and feasible) to you is a very fortunate situation to be in! Most people I know who drive do so simply because it'd take much too long via public transit. And those who take public transit, do so because it'd be silly to drive into that rush hour congestion.

Yep....I live in the burbs but have about a 3 minute walk to a frequent bus route that connects to an even more frequent bus that goes right to a GO station....then my office is about a 5 minute walk from Union.

That said, since it is a virtual tie in travel time....and I have very limited GO train schedule.....on normal days I will drive to give me the freedom/flexibility over my schedule.

45 minute walk? That's some pretty good exercise right there. On the other hand, I could definitely get used to a 20 minute daily walk.

Yep, it's great. I have no interest in exercising any other way, so it works well for me.

Back