556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

The end of FHRITP in Toronto?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As a dad of two girls and someone who hates bullies who pick on the seemingly vulnerable, I am pleased to see this reporter call out these idiots.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05/12/citynews-shauna-hunt_n_7265822.ht

One of these guys, Shawn Simoes, worked for Hydro One, and will apparently be terminated. Another apparently is close to being identified. I applaud Hydro One, MLSE, TPS (says could be charged with assault and mischief) and Laurier University's stance on the issue.

There will be those who say this is overkill, that people shouldn't lose their jobs over mysogynistic behaviour off company time. What idiots like this forget is with the very narrow exception of what's specified in the Charter, you can be fired by your employer for any reason whatsoever. So, why give your employer a golden chance like this?

So, I'd like to think this will check most idiots from doing this in Toronto or much of Canada. In the USA, where this is rampant, I imagine the female reporters may too start to call out these fools.

Last edited:
What I am curious about is how those who insist it isn't an issue feel when it is their mother/daughter who was told FHRITP. I really, really would want to see them say with a straight face that they don't care - in front of their mothers/daughters.

Honestly, bad behaviour in the name of organized sports has been tolerated for away too long (bad hockey parents is another case in point).

AoD

Last edited:
This Shawn character is so unbelievably-brain-dead-stupid (!!!) that I just can't have any remorse for him.

Actually this whole trend is stupid... I can see why the 'moment' itself is funny, but I don't condone it.

This was being discussed on Sportsnet. One of the hosts freely admitted that the first time they saw the original video, they laughed and won't deny it. Of course, with the rate of this nonsense happening, they no longer find it amusing.

That loser is now out of a six figure job and I couldn't be happier!

While it's unsurprising, what annoyed me most was how none of these chaps came to her defence. Here's a women being verbally assaulted and all these guys just stand around, even the MLSE security guy just stares like a sheep.

This was being discussed on Sportsnet. One of the hosts freely admitted that the first time they saw the original video, they laughed and won't deny it. Of course, with the rate of this nonsense happening, they no longer find it amusing.

That loser is now out of a six figure job and I couldn't be happier!

It's troubling how normalized (and worse) something as loaded as that rant is in fan circles. I think there is some self-reinforcing behaviour, like someone doing it in a group sports setting is a get out of jail card. You can see similar effects with the whole Gamergate business as well.

Don't really take pleasure in the individual getting fired, but I am not sure whether someone like that would be a good fit in any work environment.

While it's unsurprising, what annoyed me most was how none of these chaps came to her defence. Here's a women being verbally assaulted and all these guys just stand around, even the MLSE security guy just stares like a sheep.

And why would they? The practice is normalized and when you see women as objects, should one really be surprised they are treated as such?

AoD

Last edited:
One of the issues that spawn incidents like this, and others like it, is the herd mentality or groupthink. I really don't believe any of these guys in this particular case would ever dare say something like this directly one-on-one to a female, whether she's a reporter or just a bystander. Put a bunch of people together in a group, add a social media joke and they're now somehow de-individualized and feel that they, as individuals, are no longer responsible for the group's actions.

I hope they identify the rest of these individuals from the video and appropriate disciplinary actions are taken. As much I dislike public shaming and people losing their jobs, those might be the only penalties that will make people like these guys finally understand the consequences of what they're doing.

One of the issues that spawn incidents like this, and others like it, is the herd mentality or groupthink. I really don't believe any of these guys in this particular case would ever dare say something like this directly one-on-one to a female, whether she's a reporter or just a bystander. Put a bunch of people together in a group, add a social media joke and they're now somehow de-individualized and feel that they, as individuals, are no longer responsible for the group's actions.

I hope they identify the rest of these individuals from the video and appropriate disciplinary actions are taken. As much I dislike public shaming and people losing their jobs, those might be the only penalties that will make people like these guys finally understand the consequences of what they're doing.

Though being interviewed on live TV should snap one right back into the one-on-one frame of mind, and in this instance it (and thinking) clearly didn't happen.

AoD

Don't really take pleasure in the individual getting fired, but I am not sure whether someone like that would be a good fit in any work environment.

And why would they? The practice is normalized and when you see women as objects, should one really be surprised they are treated as such?

AoD

I just watched the video. It seems to me that Shawn Simoes was clearly not the instigator here - he was just a camp follower of two other guys who initiated his encounter with the reporter. When she calls them out for their behaviour, only then does he join in and repeat the vulgarity.

To me, that's very different than interrupting her and shouting an obscenity on live TV. It is pretty clear he did not think he was on live TV. Actually, was this on live TV, or had they cut away by then?

I don't see this as a sackable offense, not for a guy who did not instigate. I'm pretty sure his union will agree. What's happening re the other two guys, by the way.

I just watched the video. It seems to me that Shawn Simoes was clearly not the instigator here - he was just a camp follower of two other guys who initiated his encounter with the reporter. When she calls them out for their behaviour, only then does he join in and repeat the vulgarity.

To me, that's very different than interrupting her and shouting an obscenity on live TV. It is pretty clear he did not think he was on live TV. Actually, was this on live TV, or had they cut away by then?

I don't see this as a sackable offense, not for a guy who did not instigate. I'm pretty sure his union will agree. What's happening re the other two guys, by the way.

Being a "camp follower" does not mean you wash yourself off our own responsibilities - you have an independent mind, your mouth is under no one else but your own control. And besides, if you see someone being harassed and your first reaction is to join in the harassment, you are doubly deserving of scorn.

The union, if he belonged to one can of course attempt to intervene, it would just make it all the more popular (let's see how they reconcile that with all the "respect" rhetoric being churned out at regular intervals). Personally, I think the public humiliation and the more or less eternal association with poor behaviour is *almost* sufficient punishment in and on its' own, but hey, apparently self-awareness and self-respect is worth very little these days.

AoD

Last edited:
Is he in a union? Senior financial analyst was the title given from the sunshine list.

If a company gives you the proper notice (or payment in lieu) and severance, they can get rid of you whenever. I believe this can be true even with a union, depending on the contract.

ETA: - Sorry, title from list is Assistant Network Management Engineer/Officer

Last edited:
Being a "camp follower" does not mean you wash yourself off our own responsibilities - you have an independent mind, your mouth is under no one else but your own control. And besides, if you see someone being harassed and your first reaction is to join in the harassment, you are doubly deserving of scorn.
AoD

Simoes did nothing to counteract the harassment and spent his entire time on screen relativizing and excusing the practice: 'Worse things happen at games in England' ... 'Because it's hilarious' ... 'Because when else would you do it?' ... 'My mom would laugh her ass off', etc.

The guy who actually leaned into the shot to say it hasn't been identified or disciplined, AFAIK.

The guy in the TFC shirt and sunglasses - Mr Are-You-Actually-Filming-This? - seems to have been identified by the Liberty Village FB group and has taken down his own FB account.

He has major odeur-de-douche going on, just like his recently-fired friend.

I always thought douchebaggery should be a fireable offense...

He has major odeur-de-douche going on, just like his recently-fired friend.

I always thought douchebaggery should be a fireable offense...

Firing is satisfying from rough justice perspective (not to downplay the effectiveness of such in chilling in the environment for such nonsense), but it is also wasteful. It would be more satisfying to see a sincere, public apology plus a significant ding from the employer by the way of pay instead. But then again, the employer have their own priorities to consider.

AoD

Back