News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

LCBO (1357 Queen St. West, Old Stoneridge, 1s, ?) COMPLETE

agoraflaneur

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know what is happening here, but 1357 Queen is the address of the previous funeral home on the property.

IMG_2750.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,311
The previous buildings were two and three-storeys tall. Thanks LCBO.

(When are we going to get minimum building heights for main streets?)

Same complaint as before, here's some urbanity for you; 1 storey where there were once 3.

IMG_7404.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7404.jpg
    IMG_7404.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 899
The city has maximum density guidelines.... maybe it's time to implement minimum density requirements too...

/then they could deny the application because it doesn't meet minimum density...

The city has maximum density guidelines.... maybe it's time to implement minimum density requirements too...

/then they could deny the application because it doesn't meet minimum density...

Agreed, 3-storeys with two levels of rental apartments makes sense to me in that location. Hate the LCBO beige brick as well.

That's disappointing to see. The LCBO at Broadview and Danforth is also only one story despite clearly being able to accommodate a higher structure. At least the King and Spadina one-story store was always supposed to be temporary.

If this was Perks' or Cressy's jurisdiction rather than a shard of Bailao sticking into Queen West does LCBO get pushback? I think it might have.

Agree with 42. What's most disappointing about this development, not to mention the new LCBO at Danforth and Ellerbeck which mj108 mentioned, is that they are replacing two and three storey buildings. Plopping suburban style, single-storey boxes on a subway route and streetcar route would seem unimaginable, but the LCBO seems to think it's a good idea.

The City's new Zoning By-law 569-2013 does impose minimum heights (at least 10.5 metres and 3 storeys) in certain CR zones. The approvals for the LCBO at Danforth and Ellerback got in under the wire before 569-2013 was approved. Not sure what happened at 1357 Queen St. West.

As a resident of this neighbourhood, I'm all for this. Sure, it's not three stories, but the previous building was a stucco/fake stone nightmare and funeral homes do not add to street life. Parkdale is not bursting with developments - there are several empty lots that could be turned into condos tomorrow, but I'm guessing Parkdale is still a tough sell for developers - or for partners for the LCBO. And Parkdale's density is pretty high already.

More selfishly: it's closer to me!

The biggest downside is traffic: Queen Street in Parkdale is a nightmare already. The LCBO obviously chose the spot because of the parking, but the funeral home's parking lot was rarely used. I suspect that this will not be the case with the LCBO. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about an expanded liquor supply store in an area filled with addicts, or what fancy new LCBOs say about the gentrification happening in one of the last really mixed income neighbourhoods downtown.

I don't think anyone was saying that it should be a condo, or that the previous architecture was a gem. Simply that one-storey is a gross underutilization of the site. It's worse when the previous use was two to three storeys.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any neighbourhood in Toronto where the residents don't think traffic is a nightmare. It simply isn't an issue when someone is (under)building as-of-right retail GFA.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a building permit or dev app for this project. Am I missing something?

Back