1.7K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 407     0 

Cooksville Transit Hub

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City of Mississauga, Metrolinx and a land owner are looking at a master plan for the existing Cooksvile Station and the surrounding land.

I know during the EA process, 2 land owner where asking various question what it would do to their land as well when it could be up and running. Talking to them later, they have some idea what they want to do.

Best to look at all the land as one parcel and putting all parking underground to create a huge development. Base on the current grade, the entrance/exit are currently below the top level of the parking lot.

To me, this is the most exciting area of opportunity for development along the route for the HMLRT. There's so much potential to do this correctly and I really hope that all of the stakeholders are on the same wavelength.

The intersection at John and Hurontario streets would move from a 3-way intersection, to a 4-way, with the new west entrance serving as a portal to underground parking for GO, residential and/or commercial.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

The current state of affairs between King St. & John St. is pretty depressing. The plaza just south of the Hurontario & Dundas St intersection is a complete hole. Of the 20 or so tenants, 9 of them are nail & hair salons. I'm not even going to guess how this could be economically tenable, but a bit more variety would go a long way. Long story short, this area needs some major renewal. With mid-rise condos sitting on top of podiums full of commercial space, it would really transform the area. Add GO RER and the HMLRT and the chance for a more personal liveable downtown (not the disappointing attempt at MCC), centred at Hurontario & Dundas is within the realm of possibility.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    2 MB · Views: 941
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 910
Add GO RER and the HMLRT and the chance for a more personal liveable downtown (not the disappointing attempt at MCC), centred at Hurontario & Dundas is within the realm of possibility.

I agree. This is where "downtown" Mississauga should have been located. At the intersection of two main roads with busy bus routes and adjacent to a rail station, with developable land around it. I guess Square One and the land owners around it were better at lobbying.

Cooksville is actually the original downtown of Mississauga. This is where the city hall was located and everything. That's why there are so many mid-rise and high-rise office and apartment buildings throughout Cooksville. This was actually Mississauga's first attempt at a downtown.

Cooksville is still designated as a major node and zoned for massive high-density and mixed uses, so I am not sure moving the downtown really changed anything. Outside of Mineola, the entire Hurontario corridor is zoned for high-density. Don't act like Cooksville is full of regular single-family detached houses. There aren't many single family detached houses in the Hurontario corridor, certainly not in Cooksville.

Square One became Mississauga's "downtown" because of the 403 running beside it, and the car was the "way of the future". Cooksville was "way" north of the Queen Elizabeth Way, and the railway only had the Milton GO train starting in 1981, and rush hours only at that.

Back