News   Apr 25, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 402     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Archie Bunker houses

These houses are a lot grander than the working class Bunker house though. These High Park houses were almost certainly built for the well-to-do.

You could build a cheap and simple version with siding and no ornamentation, or you could go all out with an ornate verandah, brick facade, stained or leaded glass and other ornamentation. Some Four Squares were initially attractive but later cheaply renovated.

I'd go with the West End, north of Bloor Street, west of Christie Pits, heading west to the Junction Triangle

For your consideration, Manchester Avenue:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43....7rKUAd0MTae7DA&cbp=12,282.6,,0,-3.22&t=h&z=17

Yeah that might be the best area to find them.

Not to "politicize" the thread - but this would be the part of town from where the anti-Semitic Christie Pits rioters came. In those days, Bloor was the dividing line between Jews, Italians and "foreigners" and "your regular Canadians."

Last edited:
Yet even the Manchester Avenue-type houses seem too, well. "Toronto brick-ish" for true Archie Bunkerdom.

I'll still vouch for Mount Dennis. (And of course, hugh swaths of places like Hamilton and Oshawa)

Mount Dennis is mostly bungalows, not big and imposing Four Square houses. Only my link shows true Four Square houses, even if the houses are more upscale than those in the show.

Last edited:
Yet even the Manchester Avenue-type houses seem too, well. "Toronto brick-ish" for true Archie Bunkerdom.

I'll still vouch for Mount Dennis. (And of course, hugh swaths of places like Hamilton and Oshawa)

Why? The Archie Bunker house is less "bungalow belt-ish" than "Toronto brick-ish."

Last edited:
Maybe because I think of Archie Bunker houses less in terms of their foundational "foursquareness" than in terms of their postwar aluminum-sided white-trash aspect...

A lot of what lines the streets off Weston Road in Mount Dennis definitely meet the "Archie Bunker house" criteria.

Also keep this publication in mind

https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/unplanned-suburbs

I haven't read that yet. Are those working class pre-WWII suburbs mostly referring to the York/Weston/St Clair West area or elsewhere too?

Anyways, from what I can tell, brick edwardians (especially rows and semis) in the US seem to be most common in SE Pennsylvania, in places like Allentown, and parts of West Philadelphia.

Back