News   Mar 18, 2024
 766     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 770     0 

Old, broken-into mechanical/electrical shed, Weston/401; anyone know about it?

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been hiking and biking along the Humber River for quite a while and I've always been curious about a small, concrete mechanical/electrical shack on one of the side trails near Weston/401.

I remember the door being broken off for at least the last 5 years.

A few years ago I called 311 to report it as there is mechanical/eletrical equipment inside but the person seemed annoyed as describing the location was difficult. I don't know if they put the request through.

If anyone wants the location, you start on the paved Humber River trail. Just south of the 401, on the north side of the river, a smaller, dirt trail branches off and heads west and south. The shed is located a 1-2 min walk from the paved trail, on the left side of the dirt trail. It is clearly visible from the dirt trail.

Anyway, here are some pictures. There is some "interesting" graffiti in there (in other words, dirty stuff). I won't post those pics.

Here is a link to an album in case you can't view attachments: http://imgur.com/7paClVS,t1hxYXg,qhdFzlb,gcazfa7,gL81aSU

Attachments

• pAkAMj9.jpg
    pAkAMj9.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • nmchtj.jpg
    nmchtj.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 2dt9c8.jpg
    2dt9c8.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 33uahbc.jpg
    33uahbc.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 25k0itd.jpg
    25k0itd.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 14vs8k8.jpg
    14vs8k8.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited:
I wonder if it belonged to Weston Golf and Country Club, or possibly Pine Pont Lions Club. I've seen it many times

I've been hiking and biking along the Humber River for quite a while and I've always been curious about a small, concrete mechanical/electrical shack on one of the side trails near Weston/401.

I remember the door being broken off for at least the last 5 years.

A few years ago I called 311 to report it as there is mechanical/eletrical equipment inside but the person seemed annoyed as describing the location was difficult. I don't know if they put the request through.

If anyone wants the location, you start on the paved Humber River trail. Just south of the 401, on the north side of the river, a smaller, dirt trail branches off and heads west and south. The shed is located a 1-2 min walk from the paved trail, on the left side of the dirt trail. It is clearly visible from the dirt trail.

Anyway, here are some pictures. There is some "interesting" graffiti in there (in other words, dirty stuff). I won't post those pics.

Here is a link to an album in case you can't view attachments: http://imgur.com/7paClVS,t1hxYXg,qhdFzlb,gcazfa7,gL81aSU

Cool find.
Thanks
Mario

I've seen that structure for many years and I've wondered about it as well. A search of the city's aerial photo database shows that this building was built between 1962 and 1971 (at least to my eyes, anyone have sharper images?). During the '62-'71 period the Ministry of the Environment building was built, they have their own little building about 50m west from this one maybe they're related? Also it's built after Hurricane Hazel so maybe it's a water level monitoring station? Finally, across the Humber from this structure was another pump house that was in existence since the early part of the 20c, there is a concrete foundation that still exists on the east bank, maybe it's related to that.
Lots of possibilities but little info, as well, the project proposal file on the Albion Sewage project doesn't mention this building so the most likely possibility seems less so. Anyone work for the city's waterworks or have access to utility drawings?
A little mystery for us to enjoy!

Last edited:
My coworker said he's only seen valves on sanitary forcemains, never on gravity sewers.

Hey smitty9999, looks like two valves with the bodies under the structure, one globe valve in a loop and one small valve on a gauge/transducer connection point. I would like to have seen what is under the cover on the floor and if that back tube is a hose or cable. I was thinking that this could be a water main measuring point or an old well head. Could you show the photos around your colleagues and get their opinion?

Hey smitty9999, looks like two valves with the bodies under the structure, one globe valve in a loop and one small valve on a gauge/transducer connection point. I would like to have seen what is under the cover on the floor and if that back tube is a hose or cable. I was thinking that this could be a water main measuring point or an old well head. Could you show the photos around your colleagues and get their opinion?

Yea I'll run them by him and some others at the office tomorrow.

I know that we offer infrastructure drawings to the public at little or no cost, perhaps Toronto can do the same if you contact them.

First response, without me mentioning the nearby golf course was that the valves must be old irrigation valves, especially with the hose on the wall.

Coworker said they're not used anymore since they would be split from all the freezing during the winters the valves have seen. Definitely not sanitary.

Another coworker also said not sanitary. he thinks the golf course valves is the best idea so far. he even suggested it could be an old booster station for water pressure but agrees its not in use.

I suggest searching through the City's aerial archive and examining the land use for the area. I checked he ones from 1947 and it looks like there is a parking lot near by, so the area wasnt always tree covered

Back