Toronto Coxwell Station Improvements | ?m | 1s

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread is for tracking construction at Coxwell subway station, which is getting accessibility and emergency egress upgrades. We are starting off with a front page story on this today, and there's a dataBase file linked above too.

Drywalled off section appeared on the mezzanine in the last few days between the little shop and the westbound stairwell (which is where one of the elevators will be situated).

Earlier today:

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6859.jpg
    IMG_6859.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_6860.jpg
    IMG_6860.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,039
Coxwell is probably my favourite station on the Danforth "side" of the Bloor-Danforth line. Great original layout, both inside and out, especially looking up from the Danforth:

5346945183_94fcdc4456.jpg

Flickr: Canadian Pacific

Attachments

• 5346945183_94fcdc4456.jpg
    5346945183_94fcdc4456.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,191
Coxwell is probably my favourite station on the Danforth "side" of the Bloor-Danforth line. Great original layout, both inside and out, especially looking up from the Danforth:
Where it fails though is when you try and access the station from Danforth. There should have been an entrance to the mezzanine level from Danforth - or at least the back of the parking lot between Shoppers Drug Mart and the Bus Terminal restaurant.

How many times have you been asked for directions to the subway when standing at the corner of Coxwell and Danforth? If there was even a sign pointing to the station, it vanished years ago ...

Where it fails though is when you try and access the station from Danforth. There should have been an entrance to the mezzanine level from Danforth - or at least the back of the parking lot between Shoppers Drug Mart and the Bus Terminal restaurant.

How many times have you been asked for directions to the subway when standing at the corner of Coxwell and Danforth? If there was even a sign pointing to the station, it vanished years ago ...

The parking lot was the former TTC bus loop (previously the Hollinger bus loop) so they had the land, but I guess they figured there wouldn't be much walk-in traffic from Danforth. I think there used to be a "SUBWAY ->" directional sign on Danforth right outside the Bus Terminal restaurant pointing up towards the walk way. It wasn't a very large sign, they are still in place at most corners along Danforth and Bloor by the subway entrances, certainly easy to miss in all the clutter of No Parking and other signs. The BD extensions got bigger versions of these signs. The sign probably got taken out when some sidewalk work was done and never replaced, or got knocked out by a car.

The bus loop was closed in October 2015 for the construction, and I noticed that it was re-opened today - should have grabbed a picture. I wonder if they'll finish construction this year as scheduled! Hard to say what's happening behind all the plywood!

Back