News   Apr 18, 2024
 907     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

Shared fridge/freezer rented by time for condo residents

harry_fine

Member Bio
Reaction score
OK so no laughing, this may sound strange. My wife and I had a couple of parties over the weekend for my son's 30th birthday, we used the party room in the condo but did all the cooking on our own. OK, I mean she did the cooking. Whatever.

It was really difficult figuring out how to keep things cool or frozen as the case may be. We have a fairly big fridge and two drawer freezer, not bad for a condo, but we are used to having a separate fridge freezer combo in the basement or garage at our old house.

I started wondering if there was such thing as shared, segregated fridge and freezer devices where condo owners could allow a third party investor to install such a device in some unused space, and then could rent space out to owners at so much per square foot per day, so that if they were doing some heavy cooking, they had a place to store stuff.

Dreaming in hi-tech, the machine would have a credit card reader, combination lock like those hotel safes, NO CASH, a timer and be IP aware so you could reach it remotely, extend time, book dates, etc. Imagine getting an email after three months from your freezer saying:

"Dear Mr. Fine. Your meat may be getting freezer burn."

It's all in the software! Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing?

Last edited:
OK so no laughing, this may sound strange. My wife and I had a couple of parties over the weekend for my son's 30th birthday, we used the party room in the condo but did all the cooking on our own. OK, I mean she did the cooking. Whatever.

I suspect the cost of such a device would be higher than a bag of ice and a cooler.

Those package lockers are around $150k to build. It would take a ton of people wanting to use a freezer to make that kind of a kit (specifically with cc payments, etc.) pay itself off.

When the temperature outside is near or below zero, we just put stuff extra food (around Thanksgiving or Christmas) in a shady place on the balcony.

Put them in a reusable grocery bag with a couple of freezer packs. They'll freeze solid every night and keep everything cold during the day on the rare occasions when it goes above 0.

Back