282     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 290     0 

Oxford, UK

G

ganjavih

Here's Part II of my Euro tour, Oxford. Enjoy.

DSC01706.jpg

CNV00008.jpg

A warm welcome for Dubya around the time of the G8 summit in Gleneagles.
CNV00185.jpg

CNV00187.jpg

CNV00188.jpg

CNV00192.jpg

CNV00198.jpg

CNV00200.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

The Oxford colleges take their lawn care very seriously. Look at it! It's perfect!
DSC01711.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

Ashmolean Museum
DSC01719.jpg

DSC01727.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

Oxford Castle... around 1000 years old.
DSC01760.jpg

Own a condo within the castle walls!
DSC01762.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

Another immaculate lawn. Be prepared to get yelled at if you step on it.
DSC01802.jpg

The Radcliffe Camera. Still not sure why it's called a camera.
DSC01822.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

One of my favourite things about Oxford... the kebab vans. Time to import these things to TO.
DSC01849.jpg

The End

Wow. Didn't realize how spectacular Oxford is. I'll definately keep it in mind whenever I get a chance to back to Britain.

OED (Oxford Eng Dic) defines Camera (Latin) as: Arched or vaulted roof or chamber.

Nice town. Too bad people today can't build towns like these anymore.

I stayed at Christchurch college back when I was 18 and drank straight gin in Sir Issac Newton's room. The grounds keeping sure is fantastic, of course there is a stern old english grounds keeper around every corner telling you where you can and can't walk. Oxford is a great little university town. Ironically the "old" gothic architecture is actually neo-gothic, at its time designed with the deliberate attempt to mimmick old style buildings. A more mature example of how historicist buildings are accepted over time no matter how "authentic".

Do you think they are accepted? I find Victorian neo-Gothic buildings as irritating as 1930's neo-Georgian buildings whenever I'm in Oxford or London or other British cities. Faux is faux is faux. You can't successfully fake the original.

That's the first time I've heard the Mother of all Parliaments described as faux.

Well it is faux.

Westminster Abbey, which dates from the 13th century, is Gothic.

The Palace of Westminster, which dates from the 19th century is neo-Gothic / Renaissance.

The Palace of Westminster, which dates from the 19th century is neo-Gothic / Renaissance.

I know, and it's a masterpiece. Called it faux because it was built in the wrong century is kinda silly isn't it?

The 19th century wasn't the wrong century in which to build a neo-Gothic building. It was the perfect century because that was when Gothic was being revived.

That still doesn't make it authentically Gothic though. When you revive a previous style of architecture it cannot be anything else but faux. Hence the "neo-" in neo-Gothic.

Nice photographs though.

great shots - i didn't have a digital when i was there so i'm stealing your pics :p

this thread reminded me of a sample of anthony wood's history of the university that i have saved. i love the way people spoke in 1674....

"On tuesday 10th February 1354 (being the feast of St Scholastica the virgin) came Walter de Sprinheuse, Roger de Chesterfield, and other clerks to the tavern called Swyndlestock. And there calling for wine, John de Croydon the vintner brought them some, but they disliking it.. and he avouching it to be good, several snappish words passed between them. At length the vintner giving them stubborn and saucy language, they threw the wine and vessel at his head. The vintner therefore receding with great passion," ....got a bunch of his buddies and a good old fashioned town n' gown battle broke out.

too bad the art of snappish words and saucy language has been lost over the centuries :lol

Okay, so do all cops in the UK now wear those bright fluorescent jackets? I've noticed it in both of your threads.

Great shots as always........especially this one:
DSC01799.jpg

There's nothing wrong with labelling c19 Gothic "faux". But these days, to take it this far as a dismissive judgment call has a whiff of a 40+-year time-warp; either that, or a Roger Kimball-esque hearkening back to a period before taste-judgment consenses became warped by politically-correct pluralism, etc...

Back