News   Apr 19, 2024
 708     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

Emergent Neighbourhoods

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto is always wrestling with its identity. One of our most distinctive traits is our ability to erect completely new residential neighbourhood nodes (some better than others) anchored by one lead developer and architect. We may not lead the way in skyscrapers - though we have a few very fine 65-95 floor projects on tap - but its these emergent neighbourhoods thrill me because they have unique character.

I would define them as completely new (or including restored buildings), at least 4 square blocks, primarily residential with mixed use elements, and an integrated design. Toronto is incredibly fortunate to have recently added or announced the following:

The Well
(new) Regent Park
Canary District
Distillery District
Residential area bordering on Corus (West Donlands?)
Cityplace
Bathurst / Bloor (Honest Eds)
1 Yonge (early stage, sort of a Bladerunner vibe)
Southcore

If I were hosting friends from out of town, I'd walk to one of these each day. My greatest disappointment has been ROCP from an architectural standpoint despite having a great old dept store and a park as raw materials.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the new neighbourhoods you've listed, however disagree with Regent Park and Bathurst / Bloor, as would many (if not all) of the existing residents of those neighbourhoods.

While Regent Park's built form has changed dramatically, it was a residential neighbourhood before and continues to be, with many of the former residents still there or having returned.

Honest Ed's is a big redevelopment that will undoubtedly have a dramatic impact upon the area, however (I hope) it won't change the Annex and Seaton Village as dramatically as what we've seen occur or underway in the other area's you've listed. In addition, it's not 4 square blocks.

Perhaps better to divide the list: "new" neighbourhoods (Canary District, e.g.) and those with area-changing developments (Ed's, 1 Bloor, Regent Park).

Also, what's the Bladerunner vibe you're referencing with 1 Bloor? The design of 1B East...?

While Regent Park's built form has changed dramatically, it was a residential neighbourhood before and continues to be, with many of the former residents still there or having returned.

Also, what's the Bladerunner vibe you're referencing with 1 Bloor? The design of 1B East...?

Good points, with regards Regent Park I was referring primarily to the architecture, recreational facilities and parks. Basically, its a place I would take visitors to show. I terms of mixed use, Toronto should drop some gov't offices right in there.

The Bladerunner reference was to fanciful rendering of 1 Yonge, not 1 Bloor.

There's also Liberty Village, Ordinance Dr, the area south of Fort York and Riverside - especially with the Unilever development, which might not be completely from scratch but the increase in residents will be pretty huge and there's many large developments.

1 Yonge is a very exciting prospect.

As will be the lands developed if/when the East Gardiner is removed:

e08BhB7.png

Back