343     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 703     0 

Builder Quality Questions

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Posted on behalf of member "theSpam"

I am currently intent on purchasing a condo in our city, particularly in the Mimico/South Etobicoke area. Currently, builder quality has me concerned after reading certain horror stories. It has been repeated ad nauseum that Tridel, Monarch and Daniels are the builders to look for. What about buildings built by less prominent builders? In particular, I currently have my eyes set on a building by Davies Smith Developments (more about that later). Looking at their web site (http://www.davies-smith.com/project-overview), they have had limited building experience within Toronto proper -- most projects where they've been involved as the builder are located in Mississauga/Burlington. Does anyone have any experience with this developer? Referring to their website again, it is stated that they were the builders for CityGate (Mississauga), The Rowe (Whitby), Solstice (Mississauga), ONYX (Mississauga), Hearthstone by the Bay (retirement, Toronto), Ironstone (Burlington) and Eleven Superior (Toronto). Have you had any experience with these buildings?

I am specifically interested in Grenadier Landing, which was constructed by Davies Smith in 2003. Do you or your friends/family members have experience with actually living in the building? Bluntly asking, after all of these years, are there any deficiencies with this building, e.g. with noise proofing/insulation? I understand that if I actually decide to go through with the purchase, there will be things like home inspections and condo status certificates to protect me, but I was hoping to hear some real-life experiences before I am too committed.

I've searched online and can only find discussions about more prominent developments by prominent developers in recent years, nothing pertaining to older buildings by more obscure developers.

I can speak about the Onyx project in Mississauga. Which personally I think is the best building in Sauga. They did a really good job with it and very happy friends living there for a long time. Have you checked out Onni newest project at Parklawn? Very reliable and well managed developer. 12 year old condo at Grendiner Landing they actually have decent all inclusive maintenance at average .69 per cent. I'd stay away from Alterra townhomes there in Humber Bay that's where I've heard was a nightmare with deficincies and maintenance issues.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Any thoughts about Canderel Stoneridge? They have an older development out in the Humber Bay Shores area that I'm interested in. They also have Aura under their belt; which is touted as the tallest condo tower in the city.

Canderel Stoneridge isn't bad. My friend bought a place a few years back, still owns the place. It's nice, quite well built. Sure you'll get a few problems here and there, but really you'll get it everywhere. The builder isn't too bad to work with and the end job was pretty good. I don't have any real negative things to say about them.

Back