Toronto 150 Laird | 28m | 8s | V!VA | RAW Design

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=490452cc66061410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Proposal for a retirement living development across from the Leaside Smartcentre on Laird.

146-150%20Laird%20Drive%20Perspective%20Drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Preliminary Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-71630.pdf

Apparently this project went to the OMB over the summer. Councilor Jon Burnside was not pleased. "I believe that this proposal only pays lip service to the needs and rights of nearby residents and I am vigorously opposing it."

And the follow-up:
The applicant has appealed the Zoning By-law Amendment application to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) claiming that it was due to Council’s failure to make a decision on the application within the time prescribed by the Planning Act. However, it would appear that the developer decided to do so for different reasons. The developer never responded to the City’s Preliminary Report, he did not address community concerns after the community consultation nor did he attend the Design Review Panel regarding the proposal.

A Prehearing has been scheduled for September 22, 2015.

A Direction Report has been written and can be found at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-82965.pdf

The OMB hearing is scheduled for February 29, 2016.

It is a bit odd that appeals are still characterized as the standard "Council’s failure to make a decision on the application within the time prescribed by the Planning Act", when the City was following through on community engagement but the developer was not. I suppose the City could have rushed together a final report recommending refusal before the time was up, but the net result is the same; the OMB hearing will take place.

The developer's lack of engagement means of course they believe they will win this at the OMB.

I had a back-and-forth with his staff on the Gardiner issue. I get the strong feeling he as a new councilor does not want to rock the boat.
Well his predecessor was the only one of 44 last term to walk the plank.

I thought pretty much all councillors were opposed to all development.

Same with anyone who goes to development public meetings, it's all angry yelling.

I wish that councillors had opposed the Smart Centre on Laird because it's an abomination

146 LAIRD DR
Ward 26 - North York District

►View All Properties

Site Plan application to permit a 7 storey and 8 storey residential building.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 17 264836 NNY 26 SA Nov 20, 2017 Under Review

No retail of any kind at the base, looks like. That's a shame. It's not a terrible development, Laird being a major avenue, but the total lack of interaction with the residents during the planning phase is diametrically opposed to how Shane Baghai handled his development down the street on Southvale. This sort of "put your head down and march straight to the OMB" approach to building is extremely unfortunate.

Back