Toronto Centennial College: Downsview Park Aerospace Campus | ?m | ?s | Centennial College | MJMA

Presumably this is because of proximity to Bombardier Aerospace. In the long run the BBD facility (specifically the airfield) is something I'd like to see replaced by transit oriented development. As the Sunrise incident showed, this area's industrial character has eroded and the land use impact of the 2.1km long runway is significant considering the proximity of Downsview and Wilson. Also, if BBD doesn't get its corporate act together soon it might be marketed anyway either outright or as sale/leaseback to raise cash.

The plant is tied to the airfield. Losing the airfield would mean loss of jobs at the plant, which a few years ago employed over 2500 people. Not including local suppliers.

Also found this older report regarding the aerospace campus.

Last edited:
Wopchop - the Q400 line isn't likely to go on indefinitely.

They also assemble other planes there, and presumably, will want to continue assembling future planes there. Obviously this isn't assured, but the building of this campus is a good indication of how the government feels about supporting the local aerospace industry. Seems like a good addition, IMO, as this campus is likely to support Bombardier employees by offering future skills training and certifications.

Still hoping to see the Air & Space Museum return to the area :(

Last edited:
Today's Bombardier news should be beneficial for Centennial's programme.

Current_Aviation2.jpg

Current_Aviation3.jpg

Current_Aviation5.jpg

Current_Aviation7.jpg

http://www.mjmarchitects.com/?mid=Centennial_Downsview&node_srl=16037

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...reate-aerospace-campus-at-downsview-park.html

Really interesting area I think with all the sports facilities & new buildings created and the subway opening. Saw that this building is under construction, this seems like a good use. I've been going here for years and recently saw more of the facilities inside the buildings here which are great. The merchant market is also an interesting place to visit.

Will this area be accessible from Yukon or Chesswood Dr when the subway opens (or is it already?)

Great location for it. It will help to give some ridership to the new Downsview Park station.

Back