1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Harper complains about poppy pin

D

dan e 1980

ok, maybe it's a tad too much broadcast, i'll give the conservatives that much but why support a leader who has trouble wearing a poppy? come on! it's a pin. if he can't figure out how to hold a poppy in place how it's meant to be, how can he possibly lead the nation? you put multipe folds in the fabric and you put the pin through them, the resistance will hold the pin. is it that hard?? if you can't come up with such a simple solution, how can you deal with the big tasks??

not to mention he doesn't know when to shut up. come on! those guys are your prime conservative supporters and you poke fun at their most sacred symbol AND you let the whole world hear.

maybe the design hasn't changed over all those years because anyone with an I.Q of lets say a rock could figure it out.

keeping the poppy the same, what's wrong with being a little conservative stephen?

Harper complains about having trouble trying to keep poppy in place

Mon Nov 7, 5:19 PM ET

MONTREAL (CP) - Like many Canadians, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has trouble holding on to his plastic red poppy.

During a speech to a pro-federalist group Monday, Harper used a small Maple Leaf pin to keep the poppy in place on his lapel.

But on his way to a news conference, one of his advisers suggested the pin be removed because "the Legion doesn't like members wearing them."

Harper explained he used the pin because the poppy doesn't stay in with the straight pin that's usually provided with the plastic flower.

Reporters overheard the conversation as it was transmitted by a small wireless microphone Harper was wearing.

The Tory leader then told his advisers to "get a pin that works."

Harper added that "they only had 80 years to perfect the technology."

He then headed into a news conference where he was peppered by reporters about whether he would support a non-confidence vote on the Liberal government.

Not wise on his part, particularly considering it'd alienate what is likely his core supporters.

Mind you, for the record, the design of the pin does leave room for improvements. I've lost 3 poppies since last week already (latest one this evening).

GB

it's not like he's jogging or anything that it is such a task to keep it on.

changing the pin design would cost more money and mean less cash for veterans.

Indeed...I wish there is a way to "upgrade" a poppy with extra donations. It's bit of a waste having lost that many of them.

GB

look on the bright side, everytime you got a new one you helped someone out. :)

He could always just push the pin right into his flesh.

The Tory leader then told his advisers to "get a pin that works."

Harper added that "they only had 80 years to perfect the technology."

Just confirms the public's perception that Harper is a grumpy fart.

FM:

Except that he sounded overbearing on his aide and a little denegrating on the issue of the pin. Yes, it is poorly designed, but that isn't the point of selling them now, is it?

GB

What he says is true. I lose mine all the time. And usually when i see a vet, and then I feel bad for not having one.

Hello???

It's designed that way that on purpose! They want you to lose it!

You're telling me that they couldn't figure out another way???

I know at one point they tried out poppy stickers. Of course that didn't fly, so it worked so well!

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I don't know why the media is up in arms about what Harper said? It's not like he is against veterans or anything! If anything, I think this might win him a few votes because what he said is TRUE!

Louroz

HOWTO:

Take an elastic band. Cut out a small section (maybe 1/4" long). Slide the section of elastic onto the end on the pin after you put on the poppy. Done.

Its somewhat appropriate that the above the fold front page picture in the Globe this morning was a vet with his poppy held in with a Canada flag pin - just like Harper. Perhaps the Legion should start selling little black/green push pins for 5 dollars so people can upgrade.

Anyhow, while i can't stand Harper, I do think think this is a little overblown.

There's a short article about the renovation of Walter Allward's Vimy Ridge Memorial, on page R7 of today's Globe.

I don't know what the fuss is about. I've lost two over the course of three days and just gave up. Surely the media must have something better to write about.

Back