News   Apr 23, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 941     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 504     0 

What are Toronto's most notable teardown/monster home areas?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd say Willowdale between Yonge and Bayview, and the Bathurst-Lawrence area seem to be the most transformed by this phenomenon.

Bridle Path is king. Originally it was a modest sized bungalow neighborhood with large lots. The rich bought the properties due to their size, and stuck up their gigantic stucco mansions. There are still some of the original bungalows kicking around, too.

The areas around NYCC are a pretty bad culprit for it too.

Last edited:
I'd say the #1 area for rebuilt homes in the city would be anything located in MLS district C12.

EDIT: Essentially between Yonge St and Leslie St, from Lawrence Ave up to the 401.

Last edited:
Maybe most "tragic" is Thorncrest Village, where virtually everything 40s/50s Faludi-era has been wiped or might as well be any time soon...

I don't mind the house reconstructions in suburban neighbourhoods where the original ranch bungalows are dull and generic. The reconstructions often result in attractive houses. To see a house with a natural stone facade, copper trim and a shake roof is more interesting than yet another ranch bungalow.

It's amazing how common stone facades are becoming outside of downtown with all these reconstructions. One of my Flickr contacts, Commonwealth Brick, posts photos of new houses with various types of stone (and brick). It's interesting to find out where the stone comes from and how it can be applied.

Start on Glencairn Avenue and go east from Caledonia Road, towards Bathurst Street.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.704745,-79.464272,3a,75y,98.73h,89.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI_KMPTdbTAR6lhqY0YxwFA!2e0

And the streets north and south of Glencairn for several blocks in all directions.

Yup, along Glencairn and adjacent streets west of Bathurst it's definitely very noticeable. Also north of Lawrence on streets like Bedford Park, Woburn etc. In these areas it seems to be largely Orthodox Jews with large families and not uncommonly, 2 kitchens.

Forest Hill. Though, I would agree that the Bathurst corridor is also insane. Moreso than Forest Hill perhaps because of the poor taste those homes tend to embody.

As for stucco in the Bridle Path....as a wee lad (1999) I worked on a house there whose entire envelope is granite and copper. I don't even want to know what it cost to build. Granite and copper. The envelope of legends.

Yup, along Glencairn and adjacent streets west of Bathurst it's definitely very noticeable. Also north of Lawrence on streets like Bedford Park, Woburn etc. In these areas it seems to be largely Orthodox Jews with large families and not uncommonly, 2 kitchens.
Don't forget (the primarily) Filipino nannies who take care of the family as well. They also live in those McMansions (albeit in a separate part of them).

Don't forget (the primarily) Filipino nannies who take care of the family as well. They also live in those McMansions (albeit in a separate part of them).

As someone who works in custom residential I can tell you that very few of these have live-in maids/nannies.

It's interesting to see claims that "the rich" took over the Bridle Path. It was always a wealthy area - it's not as if it was once populated by teachers and nurses. Conrad Black grew up there.

However Canada has become a more more unequal society - wealthy people have gotten wealthier - since the 1980s.

Quite a lot of this happening in midtown too, however I hope midtown keeps its English cottage/tutor revival style with half timbering.

Some of the new houses look pretty good, say if it's stone on the outside, but some look pretty bad (stucco ones). Generally I do prefer the original brick houses though.

Quite a lot of this happening in midtown too, however I hope midtown keeps its English cottage/tutor revival style with half timbering.

Some of the new houses look pretty good, say if it's stone on the outside, but some look pretty bad (stucco ones). Generally I do prefer the original brick houses though.

I hate when i see stone (or stone cladding on the front exterior of house) and then the side has stucco. So cheap looking. Just stick with the brick or at least at the side of the house.

Teardowns are happening everywhere where you previously had bungalows. I am in the Keele south of Lawrence area (Amesbury area) and it happening here to since the houses are either bungalows or 1 1/2 storey, except here the frontage of the houses are 50' and they are not being severed with 2 houses built where prevoiusly there was one

Last edited:
For the most part, I like rebuilt luxury homes but the ones which have a stone front exterior but stucco on the sides and rear simply look perfunctory. I love the look of stone, but I would insist that the stone treatment goes all around the house (or at least on the sides). I've also seen some really great newly-built Georgian style homes, which I don't see often enough. Too often, you get the stucco rebuilds which if aren't done well, or don't have the right accents or design details, simply look cut-rate.

Last edited:
I hate when i see stone (or stone cladding on the front exterior of house) and then the side has stucco. So cheap looking. Just stick with the brick or at least at the side of the house.

Teardowns are happening everywhere where you previously had bungalows. I am in the Keele south of Lawrence area (Amesbury area) and it happening here to since the houses are either bungalows or 1 1/2 storey, except here the frontage of the houses are 50' and they are not being severed with 2 houses built where prevoiusly there was one

I think the NW of the city (Rexdale, Emery, Downsview, Jane-Finch) have relatively few though, same with parts of Scarborough further from the lake. Your area could be getting an influx though as other areas like Glen Park, Bedford Park, etc are starting to run low on bungalows to tear down. The stats show that incomes are generally increasing there, though not as fast as in the east and west end.

Back