News   Apr 19, 2024
 596     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Where Does the Snow Get Dumped?

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Watching snow getting loaded into dump trucks today and hauled away.

Curious where does it all go?

Anyone got a complete map of the different dump sites for it based on where it's collected in Toronto?

I'm guessing the downtown snow maybe goes to The Spit, but it's closed at night so not sure where the night trucks go.

I think I saw a huge pile once near the Bayview/Bloor offramp of the DVP.

Drum?

I remember a number of years ago there was a huge mountain of snow at Downsview Park that was still there in June.

Why does snow need to get melted at any of these sites? This isn't Manhattan or Tokyo. Surely there's enough room at any of these sites to hold mountains of snow.

Melting only occurs at the Transit Road site when the facility fills up and you'd be surprised just how much snow is brought there. Budapest Park and Ellesmere Yard seem to be the only spots where melting is performed right away.

Mississauga expiremented with a snow melter quite some time ago. Snow being removed from Lakeshore and the side streets around Port Credit was being dumped in the Port Credit library's parking lot and melted on site. It was found to be cheaper to simply truck it to the Clarkson Works Yard for storage where a giant snow blower forms the dumped snow into a giant pile.

I would have thought Toronto would have improved its' ways of managing snow disposal sites with the upcoming new winter maintenance contracts, but nope. The city requires the contractors responsible for the Keelesdale, New Toronto and Unwin dumps to have an excavator, bull dozer and front end loader on site to manage the snow pile.
Other municipalities simply use a single front-end loader with a snow blower attachment to form a large pile, the ammount of snow received is not an issue for the snow blowers made for snow dumps, so I don't know why Toronto would continue its' inefficient ways.

Last edited:
Okay so last night I saw one of the City's snowplows plow the street in front of my house no less than four times in the the span of an hour. Hardly any snow fell during this time, so it was mostly just pushing around old slush. Meanwhile, there are residential streets elsewhere in the city that still haven't been plowed after last weeks storm. Is this acceptable?

Okay so last night I saw one of the City's snowplows plow the street in front of my house no less than four times in the the span of an hour. Hardly any snow fell during this time, so it was mostly just pushing around old slush. Meanwhile, there are residential streets elsewhere in the city that still haven't been plowed after last weeks storm. Is this acceptable?

Are you in an area with lots of one-way streets?

If so, there is a good chance they were actually working on other one-way streets and yours was a convenient way of getting back to them. Intersections are a pain in those areas as after clearing the right-hand turn curb they might have to double back a long way to get the left-hand turn curb of the same intersection.

It's also possible the driver was lost but it's much more likely they were working on intersections.

Sounds pretty acceptable if you want YOUR street plowed! (Seriously though, I live on a street that is a common short-cut and the plows seem to use it as a 'highway' and, I am glad to say, they keep their plow blades down when using it so our street IS quite well plowed.)

The people on those residential streets should have called 311 by now. If no response, then their ward councillor. If no response, then the mayor.

Back