958     3 

Transport Dreams - Things Toronto Doesn't Have But Should

but why not??

Borat-psd5081.png

Attachments

• Borat-psd5081.png
    Borat-psd5081.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 2,910
If they light up the Bloor Viaduct properly we'd basically have it. And if ever a DRL is pushed up along Overlea there'd be a chance to reconstruct the bridge as something special.

neither of those will ever be as "epic" (extravagant, thrilling, memorable, etc.) as tokyo's bridges or san francisco. but i guess you can't have it all in any city.

Does the Burlington Skyway count? lol.

there are certainly some bridges that could be epic. The 401 bridge over Hoggs Hollow is one, they say it is the widest bridge in the world already. You barely even notice you are on a bridge when driving on it, especially if you are in the express.

The most likely first "epic" bridge will be the one constructed for the DRL to cross the Don Valley if it ever makes it up to Eglinton. I suspect a large cable stayed structure much like what exists in Vancouver, they will probably want to go with a single pier model to minimize environmental damage that the multi pier beam and arch bridge designs that are currently used to bridge the valley.

neither of those will ever be as "epic" (extravagant, thrilling, memorable, etc.) as tokyo's bridges or san francisco. but i guess you can't have it all in any city.

I'm not familiar with Toyko, but with SF & NYC the famous bridges are built between large landmasses (Long Island to Manhattan or the SF peninsula to Oakland & the northern landmass (not sure what it's called)).

Chicago has cool, but smaller and less iconic bridges over a river.

So where would you build an "epic" bridge in Toronto, besides the current bridges over the ravines? The only thing I can think of is to the islands, but even in that case, it likely would be a smaller pedestrian only bridge.

re: the Viaduct's illumination. It appears we may be cheapening the project and only illuminating the luminous suicide veil. Kinda sucks, considering the arches are arguably way more important to show off at night. That ironwork makes the Viaduct pretty epic IMO.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...iaduct-as-originally-planned/article22741244/

It's quite clear that we're not going to ever get anything like Golden Gate or Brooklyn Bridge. And that silly suspension bridge idea over the rail corridor that I used to see brought up? I can't see that ever happening. We're more like what ehlow says about Chicago. Cool, but smaller bridges. But arguably better than Chi since we're at least not flat as all hell. And we have some great concrete arch bridges (even one hidden under tons of earth in Trinity Bellwoods).

re: the Viaduct's illumination. It appears we may be cheapening the project and only illuminating the luminous suicide veil. Kinda sucks, considering the arches are arguably way more important to show off at night. That ironwork makes the Viaduct pretty epic IMO.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...iaduct-as-originally-planned/article22741244/

It's quite clear that we're not going to ever get anything like Golden Gate or Brooklyn Bridge. And that silly suspension bridge idea over the rail corridor that I used to see brought up? I can't see that ever happening. We're more like what ehlow says about Chicago. Cool, but smaller bridges. But arguably better than Chi since we're at least not flat as all hell. And we have some great concrete arch bridges (even one hidden under tons of earth in Trinity Bellwoods).

Yeah, exactly, we don't have the geography for something like a Brooklyn Bridge. I think our bridges over the ravines are pretty cool though, and they also provide some good views. Obviously not iconic like the Golden Gate or Brooklyn Bridge, but I like them. And there are a looot of them, some hidden away in residential areas, it takes a while to discover them all :)

Does the Burlington Skyway count? lol.

there are certainly some bridges that could be epic. The 401 bridge over Hoggs Hollow is one, they say it is the widest bridge in the world already. You barely even notice you are on a bridge when driving on it, especially if you are in the express.

Slightly off topic, but if you google widest bridge, according to Guinness World Records it is the new San Francisco bay bridge. But before that it was the new Port Mann bridge in Vancouver at around 65m.

However, the 401 has probably over a dozen bridges wider than that throughout the GTA with the 12-14 lane express/collector system. The widest I found was at Wendell Avenue, at just over ~100m. Maybe Guinness considers this "too boring" to be a bridge?

I'm not familiar with Toyko, but with SF & NYC the famous bridges are built between large landmasses (Long Island to Manhattan or the SF peninsula to Oakland & the northern landmass (not sure what it's called)).

Chicago has cool, but smaller and less iconic bridges over a river.

So where would you build an "epic" bridge in Toronto, besides the current bridges over the ravines? The only thing I can think of is to the islands, but even in that case, it likely would be a smaller pedestrian only bridge.

that's what kills me most, that there really is no place to build a big bridge to.

The Golden Gate bridge connects SF to the Marin Headlands. There are some lookout points up there where you can actually look down on the bridge, sort of like the street off Broadview where you can look at the Viaduct, but higher.

Back