News   Mar 28, 2024
 601     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     0 

Economist Safe Cities Index

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure how the Toronto media has managed to ignore this so far. They usually LOVE reporting on city rankings!

The Economist recently released their "Safe Cities Index".

http://safecities.economist.com/wp-.../EIU_Safe_Cities_Index_2015_white_paper-1.pdf

Of 50 global cities, Toronto ranked #8.

Individual categories:
Digital Security: #11
Health Security: #21
Infrastructure Safety: #8
Personal Safety: #7

More interestingly, on the page asking "Where is the best place to live?" Toronto ranks #1.

"To provide a broad picture of how cities perform,
we have tracked how the 50 cites in our Index
perform across a range of other indexes created
by The Economist Intelligence Unit. Three of
these indexes are at the city level (Safe Cities,
Liveability Rankings, Cost of Living) and three
are at the country level (Business Environment
Rankings, Democracy Index, Global Food Security
Index).

The average rankings for the 25 best-performing
cities are set out below. Toronto in Canada
is a consistent performer across the five other
indexes, putting it top overall."

Of 50 global cities, Toronto ranked #8.

Individual categories:
Digital Security: #11
Health Security: #21
Infrastructure Safety: #8
Personal Safety: #7

More interestingly, on the page asking "Where is the best place to live?" Toronto ranks #1.

"To provide a broad picture of how cities perform, we have tracked how the 50 cites in our Index perform across a range of other indexes created
by The Economist Intelligence Unit. Three of these indexes are at the city level (Safe Cities, Liveability Rankings, Cost of Living) and three are at the country level (Business Environment Rankings, Democracy Index, Global Food Security Index).

The average rankings for the 25 best-performing cities are set out below. Toronto in Canada is a consistent performer across the five other indexes, putting it top overall."

The 'Safe Cities' index itself is more than a little suspect, given that it's sponsored by NEC and includes 'Digital Security' as a category of 'safe' that didn't exist until EIU invented it for NEC -- and lo & behold Tokyo ranked #1! I'm shocked, shocked I say.

The rest of their rankings, though, are pretty sound and the other categories in the Safe Cities index aren't as suspect. So, this actually is pretty significant -- resonates with me for all the reasons I expounded upon (ad nauseum, I know) in the Halfway thread. Bravo, Toronto.

Notice also on the overall ranking based on their other indices, Montreal is second after Toronto. Which just tells me what I've known for years and years: Canada is a great place to live and anyone who disagrees really doesn't realise how good it really is here.

These lists have been so boring. I grew up and still live in Toronto; I know it's awesome. Tell me something interesting.
.....and, yet, I still read the whole report. ><

Last edited:
I find this surprising ... when I've looked into the stats ... ignoring murder and things along those lines ... Toronto was very high in North America for stats like assaults per capita and what not. If I'm not mistaken NYC was lower ! Only the likes of Chicago (and Vancouver) were higher.

I'll pull up the data to confirm

The Economist's report doesn't just rate security from crime. It rates health, food security, etc as well.

I find this surprising ... when I've looked into the stats ... ignoring murder and things along those lines ... Toronto was very high in North America for stats like assaults per capita and what

I think that is impacted by the company one keeps. I've lived downtown for 16 years now and have never been assaulted or felt at risk of one.

Back