6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Trains or streetcars up middle of DVP?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Instead of HOV lanes, could we put trains up the middle of the DVP, Lakeshore and other express routes? Imagine a terminal at Fairview Mall or thereabouts, with train to Union. It could be subways like on Allen Rd. or streetcar ROWs.

397932-kwinana-freeway.jpg

6937155.jpg

kwinana.jpg

Attachments

• 397932-kwinana-freeway.jpg
    397932-kwinana-freeway.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 6937155.jpg
    6937155.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,245
  • kwinana.jpg
    kwinana.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,516
That would be interesting, but is there even room to do this on much of the DVP? Though Allen Road is no one's poster boy for road and transit.

If it's possible, heck maybe this can be part of the GO RER for the Richmond Hill line.

It makes perfect sense
Won't happen in Toronto because the drivers will whine - taking a sacred lane when the road is already congested?

I was just looking at a map, much of the southern track follows the DVP and river anyway, there would be no real purpose to do this as it's probably easier to double up the existing track. It would be more expensive to build this on an existing highway that has no real gap for the most part for a median, and might take lanes away.

Now the northern part, that may be possible to run it up to Don Mills. Though there's no reason Oriole/Leslie can't be that mobility hub either if GO RER is built.

I was totally expecting this thread to be a play on the whole "streetcars cause congestion" mantra I've heard so much:
anti-steetcar: "streetcars cause congestion"
pro-streetcar: "well that must be why the DVP is so clogged"
anti-streetcar: "err... SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS"

Couldn't the highway corridor be widened?

what's the need?
People should make the rational decision to take the subway if that happens instead of driving and traffic will be lighter. If they don't and insist driving, well, they should accept the consequence of be stuck in traffic anyway. Making more lanes don't help with traffic and it should never be considered.

Gardiner: Lakeshore GO RER is already running parallel, so you may as well run the trains on the existing tracks

DVP: It's a curvy highway (south of Eg) through a ravine, so I'd rather see Stouffville RER/SmartTrack further east.

401/407.. I'm not sure why it's better than bus lanes with an express GO bus route that gets off the highway and stops at nearby malls or places.

Adding an HOV/HOT lane might be more useful.

The DVP will have one lane converted to HOV 3+ this summer for the Pan Am Games. So it should be interesting to see how it flows then.

Is there much transit demand in the middle of the DVP? Going up the middle of Don Mills Road would probably serve people better.

Soon, the DVP would have express and collector lanes, as well as a subway in its median, just like the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago.

Note that the Allen and the Dan Ryan are both expressways with subways in their respective medians. We all know how having the Red Line along the Dan Ryan Expressway made that expressway less congested (and having Line 1 along the Allen also made it less congested (despite it being congested southbound approaching Eglinton))

Last edited:
For whatever reason people in Toronto think the only way to build transit is inside tunnels. God forbid you have surface or even elevated rail anywhere. I don't understand the attitude at all, tunneling into York region seems utterly moronic to me.

Metrolinx already owns multiple sets of rail in the ravine including the not-yet-used Don Branch so we can use that for a future expanded GO service.

An interesting engineering problem is connecting future ravine stations to transit hubs above. Long/multiple escalators, gondolas, elevators, etc.

But much easier to do it to Don Branch and the Richmond Hill lines, than to the median of Don Valley Parkway -- there's some room to actually build platforms in some parts of the Don Branch (inactive) and/or the Richmond Hill Line (active).

Last edited:
Metrolinx already owns multiple sets of rail in the ravine including the not-yet-used Don Branch so we can use that for a future expanded GO service.

An interesting engineering problem is connecting future ravine stations to transit hubs above. Long/multiple escalators, gondolas, elevators, etc.

But much easier to do it to Don Branch and the Richmond Hill lines, than to the median of Don Valley Parkway -- there's some room to actually build platforms in some parts of the Don Branch (inactive) and/or the Richmond Hill Line (active).

The CBC segment yesterday? Yes we should definitely have gondola transit lines :). Yonge St relief: run gondolas on Yonge or King.

Back