News   Apr 18, 2024
 5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

ROM or Ripley's?

mdparker

Member Bio
Reaction score
We're off to Orlando (from Saskatoon) and have an 8 hour layover in TO... Our plan (myself, wife and our 12 and 13 year olds) is to rent a car and take in one of the two (Not going to SeaWorld in Orlando) previously mentioned sites... We'd have 2 1/2 to 3 hours to do one or the other... We're both from TO but neither of us have been to the ROM in quite some time... The Ripley's Aquarium is the other option... We plan on eating at Young Thailand; so either spot wouldn't be an issue... Any thoughts would be appreciated... Also we'll be in TO on a Saturday if that makes a difference...

Last edited:
I feel that 3 hours isn't really enough time to soak in all the ROM has to offer, but it should be more than enough time for the Aquarium.

Another question that might determine your choice is how long ago was your last visit to the ROM. If you haven't been to the museum after their "crystal" expansion, you should.

AoD

I'd vote for the ROM if you haven't seen it in a while. The dinosaurs in the new Crystal layout are so, so much better than the cramped '70s diorama.

The caveat is time. You'll not get to see the whole ROM in a few hours. Also, getting to/parking near Bloor & Avenue Road will be tougher than bombing down the 427 and parking at the convention centre.

This is a tough one due to time. I travel frequently on business and I generally wouldn't attempt anything significant with an 8 hour layover (and I'm travelling light) going into the U.S.

That said, if you really want to maximize the downtime and are set on visiting one of these attractions, with the short amount of time, I would opt to go to Ripley's over the ROM as well. You can literally take your time and see everything at the aquarium within 3 hours.

Thanks to everyone who replied... This is a win-win either way; glad to confirm a few things I had rolling about in my head... Leaning ROMish IF a few things allow us to spend a bit more time than my previous estimate... Thanks again to all and I'll send a follow-up either way...

If you are going to the ROM, one way to save time is to go straight for the newly installed exhibits. Which means basically everything in the new addition, China/Korea/Japan/Canadian/First Nations on the ground floor, the Minerals and Gems and Biodiversity on the second, and the Roman/Byzantium on the third.

AoD

I would opt for the ROM too. I would do an edited tour, picking the exhibits that would be most interesting to your family. This way you can see the new addition and enjoy the surroundings as well, it will whet your children's imaginations and hopefully they will want to come back one day. An aquarium you can see almost anywhere (though probably not in Saskatoon).

I may have missed it but don't see when this trip is....if it is after the opening of the UPe you may be able to forgo the car rental and save time all at once.....train would take your virtually right to the door of the aquarium and only a short subway ride from the ROM

I may have missed it but don't see when this trip is....if it is after the opening of the UPe you may be able to forgo the car rental and save time all at once.....train would take your virtually right to the door of the aquarium and only a short subway ride from the ROM
TO Area fan, Tewder and AofD... I very much am taking various pieces of your advice to heart... We're going ROM or bust so long as we can squeeze a few extra minutes in... We have had more than a few Thai restaurants open in Saskatoon over the past few years, so we're scrapping YT and plowing the extra time into the ROM... We'll spend 3 hours+ going through the parts AOD described... Thanks to all!

Back from Orlando and our layover in TO... We freed up a bit more time and hit the ROM... Great experience, and although we had to rush it a little bit, it was a great 4 hours! A few random thoughts (Again, my wife and myself haven't been in 15 or so years...): 1) Liebeskind's "Crystal" is much larger and jaw-dropping than previously imagined (It would be nice if the angular interior walls had a bit thought put into it) 2) The Minerals, crystals and rocks portion of the ROM was easily our kids' favourite... 3) The antiquities section (Greece, Egypt, Roman etc...) was a real treat as well; We left fully satiated and all of the mind that we had just visited a world-class museum... I also took a bit of time to check out many of the new projects going up downtown; very impressive!!! Thanks again to all who chimed in! We'll hit up Ripley's hopefully as soon as this summer...

My pleasure... I forgot to add the armour exhibit as one of our favs as well... That was a real unexpected treat...

Back