Toronto Midtowns on the Subway | 11.58m | 3s | Wycliffe Homes | SRN Architects Inc.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed this when driving home the other day.... The houses never had for sale signs up but all of a sudden there was SOLD signs... It's close to Lawrence West subway and directly across from Lawrence Square. This picture shows the five houses sold.

Screenshot (106).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (106).png
    Screenshot (106).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,287
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a pretty big lot. Did they purchase the houses behind them, on Cork Ave?

I will check tomorrow. You cant see from this picture but the row behind or two rows behind people have started to buy the bungalows tear them down and build McMansions. But this is a huge site and I would very much be interested in seeing a midrise up to 14 floors be built here.

One house directly behind these houses on Cork Avenue is SOLD. Again there are no for sale signs but the houses directly behind on Cork avenue now that I look at them look possibly empty.

While I like that there is more densification along Lawrence west here and that the incredibly ugly street facade wish going to be redeveloped, I lament the loss of those rental units

I presume they were rentals along Lawrence, and losing rentals near a subway station is a blow to housing affordability and quality of life for our poorer populations. If they were ownership buildings, then fire away and knock em down.

While I like that there is more densification along Lawrence west here and that the incredibly ugly street facade wish going to be redeveloped, I lament the loss of those rental units

I presume they were rentals along Lawrence, and losing rentals near a subway station is a blow to housing affordability and quality of life for our poorer populations. If they were ownership buildings, then fire away and knock em down.

Like Sheppard avenues bungalows they were probably owned at one point and lived in by the owner. Then the owner knew that they were sitting on GOLD so decided when they wanted to move instead of selling they would rent until the time to cash in. There are plenty of rentals one block away at Marlee. This whole area from Glencarin to Yorkdale needs to be updated and densified and I am glad that this is happening along with the lawrence heights redevelopment.

not refering to the buglalows but the Duplex/triplex apartment looking buildings immediates west of Bolingbroke Road, which i presume are rentals. I should hope that the developer is required to deplace the units given the bulk buy however. IIRC is there not some provision such that if the number of rental to be demolished is below a certain threshold then replacement is not warrented? Could such propoerties fall below this threshold with likely max 6 units per building? Or would a potential development be trated as a replacement of all these presumed rental in sum, and thus be above a threshold and warrant replacement.

I really hope something like this happens to those houses along eglinton avenue. Prime real estate right above the train line shouldn't be for single houses.

713 LAWRENCE AVE W
Ward 15 - North York District

►View All Properties

To amend the Official Plan Site Specific Policy #62 to permit a maximum density of 1.7 times the lot area.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

The Midtowns on the Subway by Wycliffe Homes: http://www.themidtowns.com/

Elevations:
upload_2017-8-11_12-31-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-11_12-31-28.png
    upload_2017-8-11_12-31-28.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 985
IMHO the entire south side of lawrence from the subway to dufferin should be mid-rise. But I guess this is progress. I count 6 houses in this cluster - hopefully they can incorporate the last one if it isn't part of the assembly.

I don't like the stacked town house layouts that are oriented perpendicular to a main road, it leaves so many gaps in the street wall.

The appeal is in regards to OPA 373, so locals probably appealed council's decision.

Back