2.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Alcohol Advertising, Alcohol Stores, Schools, and Children

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
According to the Government of Ontario, alcohol billboards (and posters) cannot be placed within 200 metres of a school. However, there are many alcohol billboards within 200 metres of a school. Note that the measurement by government law is based on the distance from the billboard itself to the main entrance of a school and thus, if a school has a large field, an alcohol billboard can legally be placed just outside of school property.

There are a few LCBOs and a few Beer Stores within a 200-metre walk from schools even.

200 metres is a very short walk, even for elementary school children. Even Spadina Station itself (from the Kendal exit to the Walmer exit) is longer than that.

No wonder why this law is rarely enforced (especially given that most schools' main entrances are in residential areas and most alcohol ads are located in commercial and industrial areas (as well as bus shelters in residential and institutional areas)). Parks with playgrounds can have alcohol ads in nearby bus shelters.

The only television shows not allowed to have alcohol ads are shows specifically for children and young teenagers (the highest television rating not to allow any alcohol advertising in Canada is C8), although even children's shows can have hidden alcohol references.

Many social media websites have alcohol ads as well. Many of them state that they don't post alcohol ads when a teenager is using that website (though there is completely no way to prevent a teen from liking an alcohol manufacturer or following an alcohol manufacturer (and many alcohol websites' age check can easily be defeated by simply using a year that is over two decades ago)).

Read here: http://mediasmarts.ca/marketing-con...d-consumerism-special-issues-tweens-and-teens (yes, I know I am using a media literacy website)

Finally, I am not in favour of Prohibition, and despite being a teetotaller, I don't mind the killing off of the LCBO or the Beer Store (as long as alcohol advertising were restricted significantly like tobacco and have health warnings like tobacco as well).

Mods, please don't merge this thread with the Beer Store thread, as the LCBO is also mentioned, along with alcohol ads.

If you are going to soap-box this issue, at least provide specific examples of LCBO/Beer Store ads that are closer than 200 meters of a school.

Here are a few examples (note that I am measuring from the main entrance of the pertinent buildings and the measurements are rounded to the nearest 10 m):

Distance between Beer Store (near Keele and Wilson) and Madonna Catholic Secondary School: 100 m (both are very much across the street from each other)
Distance between Beer Store (next to Dufferin Mall) and Ursula Franklin Academy (former location at Brock and Croatia): 120 m (note that the Beer Store was there before Ursula Franklin Academy moved to High Park North)
Distance between LCBO (former location near Yonge and Davisville) and Metropolitan Toronto School for the Deaf/Davisville Public School: 130 m (both properties are only separated by a chain link fence when the LCBO was there)
Distance between Beer Store (near Spadina and Bloor) and University of Toronto Schools (private high school run by U of T): 180 m
Distance between Beer Store (next to Dufferin Mall) and Bloor Collegiate Institute: 190 m
Distance between LCBO (near Oakwood and St. Clair) and Oakwood Collegiate Institute: 200m

Last edited:
Maybe parents need to communicate better to their children. Education is key here, not putting children in bubbles. Kids and teens will get their hands on alcohol (and other substances) if they wanted to. Billboard proximity is the least of your concern.

According to the Government of Ontario, alcohol billboards (and posters) cannot be placed within 200 metres of a school. However, there are many alcohol billboards within 200 metres of a school. Note that the measurement by government law is based on the distance from the billboard itself to the main entrance of a school and thus, if a school has a large field, an alcohol billboard can legally be placed just outside of school property.

There are a few LCBOs and a few Beer Stores within a 200-metre walk from schools even..

What specific law or regulation is the 200 metre rule from?

On the one hand this is simply a conflict of interest: the government selling the alcohol and regulating it at the same time. The government needs to get out of selling it so they can focus on their job of regulating it, without any conflict of interest!

On the other hand, how about people parenting their children? How about our schools educating them on life choices? From a society point of view I feel we've gone a little too far in treating people like idiots who have no self-control and/or who's behaviour is at the mercy of external forces, a scenario in which no amount of legislation will ever be enough.

I grew up in Germany. I can remember form the time I was about six where my father would hand me a few empty beer bottles and send me to the corner store to return them and buy a few new ones. Beer was on the shelf next to coke and such. Access to Alcohol like this did not make grow up to be a Alcoholic, in fact I drink rarely.

North America needs to grow up. The easiest place for kids to get Alcohol is at home

What about tobacco products? Shouldn't they have they same "restrictions" as alcohol?
Tobacco products already have health warnings on them, as well as severely restricted advertising (and being sold behind the counter).

My proposal is that alcoholic beverages should have health warnings and severely restricted advertising (and being sold behind the counter).

Better yet, give both drugs the same "restrictions," with health warnings, severely restricted advertising, and be sold in retail monopolies (or in convenience stores and/or grocery stores, but sold in such a way that they cannot easily be seen). After all, the Beer Store has those "power walls" (and alcohol advertising is so ubiquitous that only children's media and primary and secondary schools don't have them at all) just like convenience stores having tobacco "power walls" before they were outlawed.

Education is key and health warnings are a great way to educate potential buyers. Cirrhosis is not funny, along with impaired driving causing death.

Last edited:
Tobacco products already have health warnings on them, as well as severely restricted advertising (and being sold behind the counter).

My proposal is that alcoholic beverages should have health warnings and severely restricted advertising (and being sold behind the counter).

Better yet, give both drugs the same "restrictions," with health warnings, severely restricted advertising, and be sold in retail monopolies (or in convenience stores and/or grocery stores, but sold in such a way that they cannot easily be seen). After all, the Beer Store has those "power walls" (and alcohol advertising is so ubiquitous that only children's media and primary and secondary schools don't have them at all) just like convenience stores having tobacco "power walls" before they were outlawed.

Education is key and health warnings are a great way to educate potential buyers. Cirrhosis is not funny, along with impaired driving causing death.

American beer bottles and cans, have had health warnings on them for years. They don't work! Beer sales are increasing not decreasing. Everyone knows the dangers of alcohol, unless they move to Canada from another planet. Having the government educated us about the dangers of alcohol is a complete waste of tax dollars.

I'm all for breaking up the monopolies in Ontario, and allowing the convenience stores and/or grocery stores to sell alcohol. When it comes to purchasing alcohol some strictest requirements were in the states. Some counties and stores have mandatory photo ID requirements for buying alcohol. Doesn't matter how old you look. I find the bars, clubs, gas stations, liquor stores, more strict down there. I haven't been asked to show my ID in Ontario in about 12 years. Down in the states, they are always asking for my ID.

Back