Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow, tall:cool:

1 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a 68 storey mixed use building containing office retail and 662 residential units and 6 levels of underground parking
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 14 266776 STE 22 OZ Dec 22, 2014 Under Review

For reference, this is what currently exists there:

1_eglington_toronto_1.jpg

Attachments

• 1_eglington_toronto_1.jpg
    1_eglington_toronto_1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 8,799
Wow that's a relatively new building. But what the hell, tear that sucker down! Yonge & Eglinton is just begging for more density.

The height is fantastic. The present building looks expendable, but that polished red granite cladding is wonderful. I don't know why they loved granite so much in the 1980s and 1990s, but the era left a wonderful legacy of cladding.

The pedestrian experience around that building leaves much to be desired though. The west side is little more than a subway entrance surrounded by a bunker-like expanse of granite. The north side has a bank and a 7-11 set behind a colonnade that shelters from the rain, but also contributes to a pedestrian dead zone. Easily the deadest of the four corners, which says a lot considering two of these corners are occupied by construction sites.

The red granite is also a bit of a programmatic colour bow to its prime tenant: CIBC.

The pedestrian experience around that building leaves much to be desired though. The west side is little more than a subway entrance surrounded by a bunker-like expanse of granite. The north side has a bank and a 7-11 set behind a colonnade that shelters from the rain, but also contributes to a pedestrian dead zone. Easily the deadest of the four corners, which says a lot considering two of these corners are occupied by construction sites.

This street level doesn't look that different from most new towers' street levels design. I'm not convinced we'll get anything better, but I'd love to be surprised.

I'm not saying this should have a facade or this should be heritage but that red granite and the proportions here look pretty nice.

Should have gone for an Aura-like 75 storeys and be a real anchor visible from downtown. Either way I can hear the hatchets and tomahawks down at city hall being sharpened already so maybe they are just being realistic.

I have a soft spot for the tidy little ("little") building currently on this site; I hope whatever goes in here is well-designed and has some visual heft to really anchor the corner without resorting to glazing-glazing-glazing.

Hopefully its a cue to the developer to adopt a bold colour. There's a proposal in the downtown somewhere for a red condo tower, which would also be refreshing.

I really like this red building too !

Back