554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Tennis anyone?

Toronto Lad

Member Bio
Reaction score
Tennis anyone?

I thought I’d post a thread that covers my love for history, tennis and the green and yellow clubhouses or “shelters” found in public parks all over Ontario.

In the 60’s and 70’s my family played tennis at Moore Park Tennis Club in Toronto, my father served as treasurer there for a number of years and he helped to organize some tournaments. I’ll post some pictures from that time along with some club records, meeting minutes from 1925 onward and information that I hope some of you will find interesting, I’d welcome any comments or pictures from anyone here or any (ex) members.

About the neighbourhood, most of which has been covered somewhere in the 800+ pages of Mustapha’s epic Then and Now thread, I’ll go over it here very briefly.

There’s many a point of interest in Moore Park, to name a few; three hundred meters east of the courts you’ll find the location of the long defunct Beltline Railway and Moore Park Station, the brainchild of James David Edgar.

It’s also the location of the old Heath street bridge (replaced twice I believe) that spanned the Spring Valley ravine over the railway, both of which pre-date the tennis club by some time. To me living on Moore Ave just west of Mt Pleasant in the early 60’s it was the road to the Leaside club at Trace Manes park, the “white elephant” and to Cy Leonard’s hobby shop on Bayview ave.

While any signs of Moore Park Station, the railway and the original Heath Street Bridge are gone, as is the white elephant, there are some pictures in circulation which I’ll post here. First, here’s a pretty descriptive quote about the neighbourhood’s namesake, Mr. John Thomas Moore.

”Moore was instrumental in building the Belt Line Railway, Toronto's first commuter train. He personally oversaw the construction of the Belt Line's showpiece station at Moore Park. Moore leveraged all his money on the Belt Line, predicting it would bring many buyers to his Moore Park subdivision. However, shortly after the Belt Line opened Toronto suffered through a horrible Depression and the Belt Line went bankrupt. This setback postponed the building of homes in Moore Park until the early 1900's. By the 1930's, Moore Park was completely developed”.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

About the park itself, a quote from Donna Barker’s “Historic Moore Park” is a good place to start;

On Moorevale Park: “Mrs. Cooper then urgently took up the cause for a community park. She urged that the city buy the remaining land, which was now held by a real estate firm and valued at $65,000. She repeatedly carried the issue to City Council and the subject became a controversial one. Finally, on Monday, January 26, 1925, the purchase was approved by Council, which passed it 23 to 4. The park was opened with a carnival and games, sponsored by the Moore Park Rate Payers Association.”

Let’s start with the obligatory “Then and Now” pictures, or in this case as I don’t have a good “Now” picture, “Then and 1968 in colour” – which hopefully is just as good... if not then please consider it a partial “Then, Later and Now” to be amended next time I’m in the area.

Then Pics; Opening day May 1925

8.JPG

This picture was wide, about 8 inches high but probably 20 inches wide, it was found along with two note books of Meeting Minutes at my parents house after my father passed away. The minutes scanned well but I did a poor job shooting pictures of the single photograph, oh well here’s all I have, this is the centre frame of the full picture. It took 5 frames to capture the full width so if anyone wants to try and stitch it together as one let me know and I’ll send you the other four.

FWIW I remember a conversation with my father about things being thrown away at the club that he thought were important, I assume at that time my father decided to hang on to these items and there they sat for some 40 years until I found them after he passed. I no longer have this picture or the notebooks, when I found the material I returned it to the club which is where I thought it belonged and where hopefully it will go to good use.

Here’s the “shelter” in July 1930 (shared with lawn bowlers on the right side) from the Toronto Archives, as you can see it wasn’t present in this form in May of 1925 on opening day of the club, so it’s less than 5 years old in this picture.

I never knew nor did I ever hear any mention that the clubhouse once had an open porch, but I will say that in it’s original form I think it’s a work of art.

9.jpg

Later Pics; Spring 1968

This is the best picture I have that shows the front of the clubhouse.

By this time the entrances to the washrooms were moved inside behind the walls of the building that now encompass the old porch and locker rooms/showers were built in an addition off the back. Also included inside was a kitchen/snackbar on the north wall (thanks to Ed for the egg salad sandwiches and my to dad for his tab).

Looking at this picture now and thinking about some of the members, the two people on the left of this photo are Mr. and Mrs. Wodzicki (?), I remember my mother telling me they came here after the war and although they always looked like they had been through so much, I can tell you they were the kindest people you’d ever meet.

10.jpg

Here’s another one from the same roll of film, from court #1 looking south west, looks like it’s Saturday morning lessons early in the season and some kid forgot his white shorts... worse still he’s really dropping that racket head, you can be sure he heard about both after the lesson.

11.jpg

One more from the same roll, yes that’s your humble scribe hitting a forehand (racket face far too open and left arm all limp) from Jane O’Hara, who’s giving a Saturday morning lesson to the sons and daughters of the faithful.

12.jpg

I’ll pass along a few memories of the club and post some pictures from my time there and encourage anyone else to do the same.

We moved to Sudan and Mt. Pleasant in 1962, at that point I think my father, who had been playing at Rosedale, decided to switch clubs. A couple years later we moved on to Moore Ave and later up to St. Germain, but until the mid-70’s (with the exception of 1966 when we were in Montreal) we always played at Moore Park. As far back as I can remember my father was playing tennis, he started my brother and I fairly young also, my first tennis racquet was a Dunlop badminton racquet that my father cut down built up a new grip.

Here’s my father and I at Moore Park before the start of his 1964 season, NE of the clubhouse looking north onto Moore Ave, most of those trees are still there...

13.jpg

Moore Park was full of “tennis families” and “tennis people”. The kind of people who spent every sunny weekend between May and October at the club. I remember many working days in the summer my father would take the subway home, diner would be ready and as soon as we were done we’d be off to the club until after dark. We played tennis and went to tournaments while away on summer holidays. As kids we’d pull up at the park and before the car was stopped we’d have already surveyed the parked cars and knew exactly who was there.

As it may still be today, Moore Park was a community of mostly likeminded people who loved tennis and enjoyed playing tennis and hanging out, talking and eating, all while the kids conveniently entertained themselves, sometimes we playing under the old Heath St. bridge or eating raspberries from the bushes on the path out to Heath street. They were people whose children enjoyed lessons and birthdays together, who had dinner at each others house and many became lifetime friends.

Over the years there were some well known people amongst the membership at Moore Park and many others involved in organizing tennis in Canada often frequented the club.

It’s hard to remember them all but people like Mr. Philpot, Mr. Worthington, Dr. Macdonald, Ken Sinclair, Lawrie Strong, John Sharpe, Don Fontana, if could only remember the rest...

The club had some of the best players in Canada at the tournaments, Dale Power, Keith Carpenter, Harry Fauquier, Mike Belkin, Brian Flood, Faye Urban and Jane O’hara (apologies to those I can’t remember, especially the women). The club also hosted a couple of players from the US, Peggy Michel comes to mind, who would go on to win Wimbledon doubles with Evonne Goolagong.

I have plenty of great memories of the place, Mr. Wettlaufer calling me into to a jammed clubhouse to find that, for the first time I could remember someone had carried in a tv set, to watch coverage of the moon landing. Tournaments where you could watch right up close and meet top Canadian players. Mr. Worthington and all the talk about the Telegram / Toronto Sun, Mr. Sniderman talking about the music business on Yonge St., Mr. Elms who owned the Texaco at Yonge and Millwood and who it seemed had a new car every season.

There was Mr Unsworth owner of Furniture Specialty Co (still in business today) who supplied Toronto with Danish style teak furniture in the 1960’s. He also outfitted many Toronto stores, restaurants and businesses with custom furnishings. I spent many late 60’s winter Saturdays in his factory as he graciously allowed my father to drop in and work on his “projects”. He always gave me things to do so I’d be out of everyone's way and sometimes took me to that great greasy spoon in a strip mall on the south east corner of Midland and Lawrence.

There were the practical jokers and the single guys, some of whom were also the ”guys who drank too much”, big Mike and his football buddies out on the lawn, all the members who would get upset with the juniors that constantly used the change room walls as a backdrop (probably because they couldn’t get “seniors privileges”).

Then there’s the only lady I had ever met that smoked cigars, another gentleman who would take 7 or 8 kids at a time for a ride in his convertible Parisienne down the Bayview extension and up to the top of Pottery Rd for ice cream, all the much older people (mostly lawn bowlers) who seemed to have so much patience for the kids... I can even remember talk of a couple mini-scandals within the membership, but being a gentleman I would never elaborate...

I’m indebted to many of these people for so many great memories, and to few of them even more so... that’s you Mrs Hogler and others whose names sadly I cannot remember.

I should also mention that while it really was almost always fun and games, occasionally it wasn’t. I remember being pretty shocked to learn that you don’t need to be an old man to pass away, as the whole place went quiet when we found out Mr. White had died suddenly of a heart attack, and again shortly after that when the same thing happened with Dr. Macdonald. I also remember the tragedy that struck the Hudson family and their relatives, and what happened years later to our friend and neighbour Margie Lawson...

Here’s some more pictures from my time there.

An unused 1970 membership tag, my father was treasurer that year and knowing him this is probably the first unused tag, so my guess is there were probably 327 members that year.

14.jpg

Here’s a poster for the 1970 “Moore Park Invitation” done by one of the members who was a graphic artist and player, Suzanne de Verteuil (I hope I have that spelling correct), I think she did more than one poster but this is the only one I have, it’s been “touched up” so I think it’s the original and was used to make copies?

15.JPG

16.jpg

These two are from that 1970 tournament – Men’s singles, both shots on court #2 looking south east, the first picture is Dale Power vs Lawrie Strong in the second picture.

17.jpg

18.jpg

Again same 1970 tournament, I need help with this one but I think it’s the women’s doubles finals (?). I’m pretty sure that’s Faye Urban in the middle and that the lady in the glasses was a member at Moore Park, but the names escape.

Seated in the bottom left with the dark sunglasses is the club coach Mr. John leziak (again, god I hope I have that spelling right), a tough coach but a gentleman nonetheless. That’s my dad with his back to the camera in his OLTA blazer, I can’t remember the gentleman’s name to my fathers right, who was also present at the 1971 tournament at the finals.

19.jpg

I stand to be corrected on the date but I’m pretty sure these two are from the 1971, the women’s finals of the Moore Park Invitation.

This first one is Toronto’s Jane O'Hara on court #3 in the Women's singles final match against Peggy Michel from the US. Jane was always our favourite Canadian player, a really fluid player and someone we loved to watch.

A side note about the 1971 tournament; it was at the beginning of this tournament that despite him saying I was “too tall and gangly”, my father gave me my big break as ball boy at the net, but this time my tournament would be short lived... As I went onto the court the first time my dad reminded me that, when at the net, it was especially important to stare straight ahead across the net and remain motionless once the player prepared to serve. Which of course I did, so mercifully shortly after that I didn’t see the serve coming that hit me directly in the side of the head and knocked my lights out.

Unfortunately that delayed the game and left my dad shaking his head but I still felt I was making progress having been out there... as I was only out for a few seconds, the powers that be decided we should go out for dinner afterwards with a couple of the players, instead of to the hospital for my concussion, but I think it worked out alright in the end...

With further convincing and numerous promises I was able to convince my father to go out on a limb and get both my younger brother and I plum patronage appointments as Canadian Open ball boys for a few years, both at the Toronto Lawn and at the Cricket Club, in my case without too much merit. We did pretty well as what we really wanted to do was meet the players and see the match from courtside seats and we certainly did that.

20.jpg

This match was a tough one for us because we had always rooted for Jane O’Hara no matter what, but this time it was a bit different, Peggy Michel was also family friend so I didn’t know who to cheer for, if I should be happy or what to say when it was over. Here’s Peggy Michel who defeated Jane O’Hara in that match, I think Jane’s face says it all and I give her a lot of credit because losing with grace is not something everyone can do. Again, I can’t remember the gentleman’s name but hopefully some else will.

21.jpg

To be continued...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 1,937
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,647
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 2,162
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,611
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,516
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 1,518
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1,642
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,573
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 1,553
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,565
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 1,529
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,566
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 2,165
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,445
Last edited:
Picking it up where we left off...

This one’s taken looking west on court #3 which they used for the final matches so must have been the good one, I’ll just quote my dad from the back of the picture;

“1972 – Keith Carpenter (Davis Cup player for Canada) wins the men’s singles at the Moore Park Invitational Tournament ($1000), the man with the camera is a CBC sportscaster and the man with the cheque is Otto Jelinek, tournament sponsor and president of that sports companyâ€. At the bottom he notes “The man with the tie in the Ontario Lawn Tennis Association blazer is the tournament chairmanâ€, that’s my dad, with the white (?) shoes.

There are so many things going on in this picture... sideburns, postmodern beehives and alien sunglasses, brylcream... As you may already know Mr. Jelinek was a world champion figure skater at the time and he went on to be an MP and cabinet minister under Mulroney with more than one portfolio.

I remember sometime about 1969 my father took me with him downtown on a cold Saturday morning to some uniform store on Jarvis or Sherbourne (?) to buy that blazer, his “OLTA umpires jacketâ€, it was green and not a great green... He made a big deal about it and despite the fact it was winter and there wasn’t a court in sight, the whole drive down was tennis tennis tennis.

It seemed to take forever, but once he had it in hand I was smiling because I thought we were going home, but no, we were back in the car to drive even further downtown to a tailor or dry cleaners behind or beside (?) the Brown Derby, so he could get it “fit†properly. Having been to my fathers downtown office during business hours many times in the past I remember being struck that day by how desolate Victoria and Dundas was early on a cold Saturday morning.

22.jpg

Here’s some pictures from a contact sheet given to my dad by a Sun photographer taken during that Moore Park 1972 men’s final between Keith Carpenter and Harry Fauquier, the umpire is Mr. Doug Philpot.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Mr. Fauquier accepting runner-up after a great match.

28.jpg

My father never did umpire any matches at Moore Park that I know of, I suspect because he had a part in organizing the events. He did however umpire at other events at Davisville and Leaside tennis clubs, and also at the Canadian Open in the early 70’s, both at the Toronto Lawn and at the Cricket club.

I’ll end with this, a picture of the day I was told that cold winter morning would come eventually, the day that my father in that blazer achieved his objective, centre court watching his favourite player from the best seat in the house.

The Toronto Cricket Club’s 1972 Rothmans Canadian Open, just before the start of the match my father would umpire with the worlds #1 player, Margaret Court.

29.jpg

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 1,734
I'm going to post some scans of the meeting minutes from the club, as you can imagine they give us an insight not only into club history, but into everyday life in Toronto at the time.

There's some interesting notes made during the war, perhaps some of you will find your relatives or people you know mentioned, I hope some of you will find them useful or interesting, or both...

Cover a.jpg

Page 1 and 2 a.jpg

Page 3 and 4 a.jpg

Page 5 and 6 a.jpg

Page 7 and 8 a.jpg

Page 9 and 10 a.jpg

Page 9 and 10 a.jpg

Attachments

• Cover a.jpg
    Cover a.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Page 1 and 2 a.jpg
    Page 1 and 2 a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,245
  • Page 3 and 4 a.jpg
    Page 3 and 4 a.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Page 5 and 6 a.jpg
    Page 5 and 6 a.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Page 7 and 8 a.jpg
    Page 7 and 8 a.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Page 9 and 10 a.jpg
    Page 9 and 10 a.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 1,189
What's that you say? more more more...

Page 13 and 14 a.jpg

Page 15 and 16 a.jpg

Page 17 and 18 a.jpg

Page 19 and 20 a.jpg

Page 21 and 22 a.jpg

Page 23 and 24 a.jpg

Page 25 a.jpg

Page 26 a.jpg

Page 27 and 28 a.jpg

Page 31 and 32 a.jpg

Page 33 and 34 a.jpg

Page 35 and 36 a.jpg

Page 37 and 38 a.jpg

End of book number one.

Attachments

• Page 13 and 14 a.jpg
    Page 13 and 14 a.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Page 15 and 16 a.jpg
    Page 15 and 16 a.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • Page 17 and 18 a.jpg
    Page 17 and 18 a.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Page 19 and 20 a.jpg
    Page 19 and 20 a.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Page 21 and 22 a.jpg
    Page 21 and 22 a.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Page 23 and 24 a.jpg
    Page 23 and 24 a.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Page 25 a.jpg
    Page 25 a.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Page 26 a.jpg
    Page 26 a.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Page 27 and 28 a.jpg
    Page 27 and 28 a.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Page 31 and 32 a.jpg
    Page 31 and 32 a.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Page 33 and 34 a.jpg
    Page 33 and 34 a.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Page 35 and 36 a.jpg
    Page 35 and 36 a.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Page 37 and 38 a.jpg
    Page 37 and 38 a.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 1,134
Start Book number two

Cover a.jpg

Page 1 and 2 a.jpg

Page 3 and 4 a.jpg

Page 5 and 6 a.jpg

Page 7 and 8 a.jpg

Page 9 and 10 a.jpg

Page 11 a.jpg

Page 12 a.jpg

Page 13 a.jpg

Page 14 a.jpg

Page 15 a.jpg

Page 16 and 17 a.jpg

Page 18 and 19 a.jpg

Page 20 and 21 a.jpg

Page 22 and 23 a.jpg

Page 24 and 25 a.jpg

Page 26 and 27 a.jpg

Page 28 and 29 a.jpg

Page 28 B Side a.jpg

Page 30 A Side a.jpg

Page 30 B Side a.jpg

More to follow...

Attachments

• Cover a.jpg
    Cover a.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Page 1 and 2 a.jpg
    Page 1 and 2 a.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Page 3 and 4 a.jpg
    Page 3 and 4 a.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Page 5 and 6 a.jpg
    Page 5 and 6 a.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Page 7 and 8 a.jpg
    Page 7 and 8 a.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Page 9 and 10 a.jpg
    Page 9 and 10 a.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Page 11 a.jpg
    Page 11 a.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Page 12 a.jpg
    Page 12 a.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Page 13 a.jpg
    Page 13 a.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Page 14 a.jpg
    Page 14 a.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Page 15 a.jpg
    Page 15 a.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Page 16 and 17 a.jpg
    Page 16 and 17 a.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Page 18 and 19 a.jpg
    Page 18 and 19 a.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Page 20 and 21 a.jpg
    Page 20 and 21 a.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Page 22 and 23 a.jpg
    Page 22 and 23 a.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Page 24 and 25 a.jpg
    Page 24 and 25 a.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Page 26 and 27 a.jpg
    Page 26 and 27 a.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Page 28 and 29 a.jpg
    Page 28 and 29 a.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Page 28 B Side a.jpg
    Page 28 B Side a.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Page 30 A Side a.jpg
    Page 30 A Side a.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Page 30 B Side a.jpg
    Page 30 B Side a.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,022
Page 31 a.jpg

Page 32 a.jpg

Page 33 a.jpg

Page 34 a.jpg

Page 35 a.jpg

Page 36 a.jpg

Page 37 a.jpg

Page 38 a.jpg

Page 39 a.jpg

Page 40 a.jpg

Page 41 a.jpg

Page 42 a.jpg

Page 43 a.jpg

Page 44 a.jpg

Page 45 a.jpg

Attachments

• Page 31 a.jpg
    Page 31 a.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Page 32 a.jpg
    Page 32 a.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Page 33 a.jpg
    Page 33 a.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Page 34 a.jpg
    Page 34 a.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Page 35 a.jpg
    Page 35 a.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Page 36 a.jpg
    Page 36 a.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Page 37 a.jpg
    Page 37 a.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Page 38 a.jpg
    Page 38 a.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Page 39 a.jpg
    Page 39 a.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Page 40 a.jpg
    Page 40 a.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Page 41 a.jpg
    Page 41 a.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Page 42 a.jpg
    Page 42 a.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Page 43 a.jpg
    Page 43 a.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 972
  • Page 44 a.jpg
    Page 44 a.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Page 45 a.jpg
    Page 45 a.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1,003
Page 46 a.jpg

Page 47 a.jpg

Page 48 a.jpg

Page 49 a.jpg

Page 50 a.jpg

Page 51 a.jpg

Page 52 a.jpg

Page 53 a.jpg

Page 54 a.jpg

Page 55 a.jpg

Page 56 a.jpg

Page 57 a.jpg

Page 58 a.jpg

Page 59 a.jpg

Page 60 a.jpg

Attachments

• Page 46 a.jpg
    Page 46 a.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Page 47 a.jpg
    Page 47 a.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Page 48 a.jpg
    Page 48 a.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 989
  • Page 49 a.jpg
    Page 49 a.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 997
  • Page 50 a.jpg
    Page 50 a.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Page 51 a.jpg
    Page 51 a.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Page 52 a.jpg
    Page 52 a.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 984
  • Page 53 a.jpg
    Page 53 a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Page 54 a.jpg
    Page 54 a.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Page 55 a.jpg
    Page 55 a.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 991
  • Page 56 a.jpg
    Page 56 a.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 960
  • Page 57 a.jpg
    Page 57 a.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 965
  • Page 58 a.jpg
    Page 58 a.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 963
  • Page 59 a.jpg
    Page 59 a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 967
  • Page 60 a.jpg
    Page 60 a.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 922
Page 61 a.jpg

Page 62 a.jpg

Page 63 a.jpg

Page 64 a.jpg

Page 65 a.jpg

Page 66 a.jpg

Page 67 a.jpg

Page 68 a.jpg

Page 69 a.jpg

Page 70 a.jpg

Page 71 a.jpg

Page 72 a.jpg

Page 73 a.jpg

Page 74 a.jpg

Page 75 a.jpg

Attachments

• Page 61 a.jpg
    Page 61 a.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 953
  • Page 62 a.jpg
    Page 62 a.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 918
  • Page 63 a.jpg
    Page 63 a.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 925
  • Page 64 a.jpg
    Page 64 a.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 969
  • Page 65 a.jpg
    Page 65 a.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 943
  • Page 66 a.jpg
    Page 66 a.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 947
  • Page 67 a.jpg
    Page 67 a.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 923
  • Page 68 a.jpg
    Page 68 a.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 928
  • Page 69 a.jpg
    Page 69 a.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 916
  • Page 70 a.jpg
    Page 70 a.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 969
  • Page 71 a.jpg
    Page 71 a.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 929
  • Page 72 a.jpg
    Page 72 a.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 911
  • Page 73 a.jpg
    Page 73 a.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 905
  • Page 74 a.jpg
    Page 74 a.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 917
  • Page 75 a.jpg
    Page 75 a.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 933
Page 76 a.jpg

Page 77 a.jpg

Page 78 a.jpg

Page 79 a.jpg

Page 80 a.jpg

Page 81 a.jpg

Page 82 a.jpg

Page 83 a.jpg

Page 84 a.jpg

Page 85 a.jpg

Page 86 a.jpg

Page 87 and 88 a.jpg

Page 89 and 90 a.jpg

That's all of it.

Attachments

• Page 76 a.jpg
    Page 76 a.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 925
  • Page 77 a.jpg
    Page 77 a.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 920
  • Page 78 a.jpg
    Page 78 a.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 907
  • Page 79 a.jpg
    Page 79 a.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 921
  • Page 80 a.jpg
    Page 80 a.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 910
  • Page 81 a.jpg
    Page 81 a.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 913
  • Page 82 a.jpg
    Page 82 a.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 909
  • Page 83 a.jpg
    Page 83 a.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 909
  • Page 84 a.jpg
    Page 84 a.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 919
  • Page 85 a.jpg
    Page 85 a.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 938
  • Page 86 a.jpg
    Page 86 a.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 920
  • Page 87 and 88 a.jpg
    Page 87 and 88 a.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 926
  • Page 89 and 90 a.jpg
    Page 89 and 90 a.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 903
Moore Ave Bridge

Some more good pictures of the Belt Line bridge on Moore Ave, here they are.

Dec. 1912 - The Moore Ave bridge giving a great perspective of the station's proximity to Moore Ave. The view is north, the station house south of Moore on the west side of the tracks.

f1231_it1067.jpg

Dec. 1912 - View west over the bridge, Moorevale park directly ahead (13 years later), the Belt Line station house is down in the valley to the left of the bridge.

f1231_it1522.jpg

Looks like by Aug. 1913 there were issues with the bridge.

f1231_it1524.jpg

Aug. 1913 view east.

f1231_it1525.jpg

Feb. 1914 Bridge closed. This view is east.

f1231_it1523.jpg

It's hard to say exactly when but by July 1932 they're referring to it as the "site" of the Moore Ave bridge. The bridge is gone completely and one would have to assume the only way to get across the Spring Valley in 1932 would be the bridge to the north on Heath Street.

July 1932 - View west, you can see the retaining wall on the other side.

f1231_it1595.jpg

July 1932 - View east, Moore Ave. a dead end with a street light and a painted out barrier.

f1231_it1594.jpg

Attachments

• f1231_it1067.jpg
    f1231_it1067.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 872
  • f1231_it1522.jpg
    f1231_it1522.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 861
  • f1231_it1524.jpg
    f1231_it1524.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 878
  • f1231_it1525.jpg
    f1231_it1525.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 986
  • f1231_it1523.jpg
    f1231_it1523.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 868
  • f1231_it1595.jpg
    f1231_it1595.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 925
  • f1231_it1594.jpg
    f1231_it1594.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 879
Hi TorontoLad,

I really enjoyed reading your post! I was wondering whether you had anymore tennis photos of players during the 60s and 70s similar to photos from Moore Park? Thanks!

Tennis Lad,
I love that earlier (1925) group photo.
I did a little PhotoShopping on it with this result - see below.
If you post the 5 images that make up the 20 inch panorama, I'll attempt to stitch them together for you.

8.JPG

Moore Park group 1925.jpg

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 693
  • Moore Park group 1925.jpg
    Moore Park group 1925.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 678

Back