News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

First-time buyer, looking for some insight into reliable developers

BMO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm a first-time home-buyer looking in the $350-400k range for a 1+den around the core. I'm really worried about some of the horror stories I'm hearing from buildings that look great but the maintenance and on-going issues are horrible.

I was wondering if you guys have any insight into which condo developers are generally the better quality ones and which are the ones I should be more cautious about?

I'm a first-time home-buyer looking in the $350-400k range for a 1+den around the core. I'm really worried about some of the horror stories I'm hearing from buildings that look great but the maintenance and on-going issues are horrible.

I was wondering if you guys have any insight into which condo developers are generally the better quality ones and which are the ones I should be more cautious about?

Good : Tridel, Minto, Daniels, Cityzen, Concert, Canadrel, Plazacorp, Empire(Mixed), Monarch, Reserve Properties, Menkes, Aspen Ridge, Green Park, Amexon, Onni, Great Gulf

Bad: Conservatory, Lanterra(Mixed), Concord, Lifetime(Mixed), Urbancorp, Streetcar(Mixed), Freed(Mixed), Canalfa, Alterra, and Camrost-Felcorp(Mixed), Pinnacle, Cresford, Pemberton(Mixed), Urbancapital(Mixed)

Yikes... I should stop. More bad then good :(

Last edited:
Good : Tridel, Minto, Daniels, Cityzen, Concert, Canadrel, Plazacorp, Empire(Mixed), Monarch, Reserve Properties, Menkes, Aspen Ridge, Green Park, Amexon, Onni(Mixed)

Bad: Conservatory, Lanterra(Mixed), Concord, Lifetime(Mixed), Great Gulf(Mixed), Urbancorp, Streetcar(Mixed), Freed(Mixed), Canalfa, Alterra, and Camrost-Felcorp(Mixed), Pinnacle, Cresford, Pemberton(Mixed), Urbancapital(Mixed)

Awesome, thanks, this is quite useful. Actually, most of the condos I've been looking at have been in the bad list and that's what pushed me to try and get some opinions on them.

Awesome, thanks, this is quite useful. Actually, most of the condos I've been looking at have been in the bad list and that's what pushed me to try and get some opinions on them.

I've bought with concord many times. There has been some delays. So watch out for that. People complain about their finishes, I believe this is past products. I am completely satisfied with the new buildings they are selling now.

Good : Tridel, Minto, Daniels, Cityzen, Concert, Canadrel, Plazacorp, Empire(Mixed), Monarch, Reserve Properties, Menkes, Aspen Ridge, Green Park, Amexon, Onni(Mixed)

Bad: Conservatory, Lanterra(Mixed), Concord, Lifetime(Mixed), Great Gulf(Mixed), Urbancorp, Streetcar(Mixed), Freed(Mixed), Canalfa, Alterra, and Camrost-Felcorp(Mixed), Pinnacle, Cresford, Pemberton(Mixed), Urbancapital(Mixed)

Pretty good list.

I'd say there should be a "really bad" list. I'd put Urbancorp in that one. Possibly the worst builder in the city mainly because they have several projects tha thave dragged on for YEARS past closing for various reasons stemming from their own ineptitude.

Pretty good list.

I'd say there should be a "really bad" list. I'd put Urbancorp in that one. Possibly the worst builder in the city mainly because they have several projects tha thave dragged on for YEARS past closing for various reasons stemming from their own ineptitude.

+1 for having a a third list of developers to stay away from. Or, at least providing reasons why these developers are in the specific lists. UrbanCorp definitely should be in the 'STAY AWAY' list for a variety of reasons above and beyond the delayed closing issues.

I would move Great Gulf out of the bad list as I've been able to compare purchasing pre-construction with Great Gulf vs other developers and they in fact deliver a quality product.

Many issues that are encountered in a condo development can also arise from there being an incompetent Board or Property Manager. If the components of the building aren't properly serviced (e.g. elevator, window, and even reserve fund contributions) a 5-star building can quickly degrade. So, if you're buying resale be sure to review the status certificate and question the maintenance fees.

Interesting, because the only piece of residential architecture I actually like in this city is Rivercity phase 1 by Urban capital... but they're on the bad list!

Also a prospective first time buyer here. I'm looking for something that will meet the following criteria:

-1 bedroom (no more no less; ie no silly "den" alcove)
-wide shallow floorplan, ideally corner unit
-600-700sf range (yeah that's larger than most 1+den's and some 2brs these days!)
-no parking
-smaller bedroom with more space devoted to living/dining areas
-large balcony
-Downtown anywhere within the vicinity of the future DRL
-under $400k

Rivercity phase 1's C11 floorplan is almost exactly what I'm looking for, save for the wasteful entry corridor and the tiny balcony.

Interesting, because the only piece of residential architecture I actually like in this city is Rivercity phase 1 by Urban capital... but they're on the bad list!

Also a prospective first time buyer here. I'm looking for something that will meet the following criteria:

-600-700sf range (yeah that's larger than most 1+den's and some 2brs these days!)
-no parking
-large balcony
-under $400k

Rivercity phase 1's C11 floorplan is almost exactly what I'm looking for, save for the wasteful entry corridor and the tiny balcony.

Urban capital isn't bad just first Phase they really dragged construction for a long time and I've heard from tenants and owners there was multiple issues. With Phase 3 they priced the units disgustingly high and awkward floor plans. They do deliver a finished product but the process to getting there isn't the most efficient.

Actually I saw the price list and the units for RC3 are just under $600/sf. Wouldn't call that disgustingly high. But the floorplans really are horrible... half of them have the kitchen inside the living room like an entertainment unit! The wierd thing is that the horrible layouts are totally avoidable with just a few minor tweaks.

For example plan C6: could they not have put the entry and washroom where the den is and used all that extra space for a proper kitchen and a desk alcove that receives natural light among many other possibilities, instead of having the stove 2 feet from the sofa in exchange for a windowless 2nd room, smh. At any rate, I'll never buy a 750sf unit that has less than 30 feet of window.

Last edited:
Urban capital isn't bad just first Phase they really dragged construction for a long time and I've heard from tenants and owners there was multiple issues. With Phase 3 they priced the units disgustingly high and awkward floor plans. They do deliver a finished product but the process to getting there isn't the most efficient.

Agreed, I don't think Urban Capital is particularly bad but as with many other builders, there are going to be issues with occupancy schedules and post-occupancy repairs.

Actually I saw the price list and the units for RC3 are just under $600/sf. Wouldn't call that disgustingly high. But the floorplans really are horrible... half of them have the kitchen inside the living room like an entertainment unit! The wierd thing is that the horrible layouts are totally avoidable with just a few minor tweaks.

For example plan C6: could they not have put the entry and washroom where the den is and used all that extra space for a proper kitchen and a desk alcove that receives natural light among many other possibilities, instead of having the stove 2 feet from the sofa in exchange for a windowless 2nd room, smh. At any rate, I'll never buy a 750sf unit that has less than 30 feet of window.

My issue with River City is the many of the units have tiny linear kitchens. They also don't have too many swing doors. A lot of sliding doors which presents a privacy/noise issue within the unit. While the decor is minimalist/modern, it's a little too stark. The hallways are long and very plain. I don't like the decor at all. The light grey thin carpet was a bad choice. My biggest complaint is the washer/dryer combo. A bad idea IMO.

Other than that, what I do like are the size of the units. They're pretty large for the most part. I like the dark window pains and the flooring as well. They did a lot of things right with this project. I wish they paid a bit more attention to detail, though.

-no parking
-large balcony
-under $400k

Are you married to the idea of a brand new condo?

I've been looking for the past few months and my requirements are a bit different:

-1 Bed + Den
-600-700sqft
-Need Parking
-Want balcony(but not necessary)
-Under $400K

I think your biggest advantage is the no parking requirement. I've found there are more units that fit your description when looking at older buildings or post-construction. Although, you may have to take something with a smaller sqft.

My hardest issue is finding parking, which I need for my part-time job. I don't even mind paying for a spot, there just aren't many units on the market for a 1+D that have parking included unfortunately.

Are you married to the idea of a brand new condo?

I've been looking for the past few months and my requirements are a bit different:

-1 Bed + Den

-600-700sqft
-Need Parking
-Want balcony(but not necessary)
-Under $400K

I think your biggest advantage is the no parking requirement. I've found there are more units that fit your description when looking at older buildings or post-construction. Although, you may have to take something with a smaller sqft.

My hardest issue is finding parking, which I need for my part-time job. I don't even mind paying for a spot, there just aren't many units on the market for a 1+D that have parking included unfortunately.

Liberty Village would be your best bet.

Liberty Village would be your best bet.

He asked for reliable developers. I can't think of any in liberty village. I guess Plazacorp is OK. LV isn't a place I'd suggest unless it's the only option and the buyer's a young, party animal.

He asked for reliable developers. I can't think of any in liberty village. I guess Plazacorp is OK. LV isn't a place I'd suggest unless it's the only option and the buyer's a young, party animal.

Liberty Towers by Plazacorp is a well built building with great layouts and within budget. Should of been more specific within Liberty Village. Yes.

Back