News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 577     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 879     0 

Youth and Energy Drinks

Should energy drinks be available to youth?

• Total voters
I guess we will have to restrict the sales of coffee too. 16oz 'Grande' coffee at Starbucks has more caffeine than most energy drinks. Also you can load coffee up with as much sugar as you like. What happen to freedom of choice in this country? Yes energy drinks are bad for kids, but so is McDonald's , Doritos and 7-11's big gulp soda's and Slurpee's. Are we going to ban those too?

Coffee has so much more caffeine than energy drinks, and tastes so much better!

I guess we will have to restrict the sales of coffee too. 16oz 'Grande' coffee at Starbucks has more caffeine than most energy drinks. Also you can load coffee up with as much sugar as you like. What happen to freedom of choice in this country? Yes energy drinks are bad for kids, but so is McDonald's , Doritos and 7-11's big gulp soda's and Slurpee's. Are we going to ban those too?

Coffee has so much more caffeine than energy drinks, and tastes so much better!
New York City under Michael Bloomberg at one point banned large servings of pop and many New Yorkers simply went to New Jersey to get their pop fix. The ban was lifted shortly afterwards.

Therefore, banning energy drinks in Toronto completely is counterproductive, but I am still neutral otherwise.

New York City under Michael Bloomberg at one point banned large servings of pop and many New Yorkers simply went to New Jersey to get their pop fix. The ban was lifted shortly afterwards.

Therefore, banning energy drinks in Toronto completely is counterproductive, but I am still neutral otherwise.

Reminds me what Bill Maher said on the soda ban... "You shouldn't have to clear what you eat with the municipal government,""

"I am for overturning this ban, I think this is what makes liberals look bad. This is what makes liberals look like elitist bullies who think they know everything and can tell people what to do."

"Again, it is what makes liberals look bad. They never met a regulation they didn't like. Of course, we should do something about this problem, but what if I want to have that one Big Gulp once a week? I should be able to," "You shouldn't have to clear what you eat with the municipal government,"
- Bill Maher

wdqJSl0.gif

There is a good reason why schools don't sell energy drinks.

By the way, I believe that energy drinks should only be sold in the LCBO, prohibit anyone under 19 from drinking them, restrict advertising, and put health warnings.

My late maternal grandfather liked to drink Red Bull every night for mahjong marathons (he died of kidney failure two decades ago) back when Red Bull was only available in Thailand.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with youth and Red Bull is the sugar, not the caffeine. If you're going to ban Red Bull for minors you might as well ban pop and juice, too.

My tween aged kids dislike all fizzy drinks and (my fault) have a strong aversion to sugar/sweetened drinks. The pay off is no obesity and no cavities. They do drink a lot of milk, which will likely make them 6ft plus tall.

Back