News   Apr 23, 2024
 926     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 500     0 

Don Mills: How did it begin?

hper

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, first off, full disclosure: I am working on a doc project about Don Mills. So any discussion may be considered for use therein, upon proper consultation with the source thereof.

I used to live there many, many years ago. (Parents dragged us kicking and screaming downtown in the mid/late 70s. Thank goodness. ). So, with a personal history there, I'd like to explore the history of the place. The known knowns are given: E.P Taylor's land, Argus Corporation, Macklin Hancock, Industrial Modernism in the form of SFHs. So far, so boring.

Here's the thing that got me going though: A former planner and friend of the family long ago told me that the beginnings of Don Mills are, in fact, more interesting. When Hancock (Harvard, '50 - Design) was handed the planning reins, so the story goes, he looked for a functional precedent. The best he could find was Rome. Old Rome. Ancient Rome, if you prefer.

Thus, unlike, say,Levittown, we have the hub/spoke/wheel design where the Donway plays the Appian Way encircling a central commercial area (The old curling rink was the Forum, BTW). Basically an intended 'city centre' with business/commerce centralized and an ancillary residential area composed of varying wealth strata spoking off the hub. Each 'slice' had its own school and all were connected by a 'greenbelt' and pathway system. Further industry would (and did) exist on the periphery

So, any Don Millionaires or planning geeks who'd like to weigh in, I'd really appreciate thoughts or insights into this great, or failed, 60-year old experiment.

Although I regret not being able to provide any further insight, I'm quite interested in both the topic and the neighborhood. Hopefully some others on this forum will be able to share some historical wisdom.

If you're making a documentary you better make sure you get any information straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. You either need to find a book or article that is well-sourced, or interview the people who were originally involved. Any information you get from the internet will be hearsay unless you can verify it independently. Having said that, when the original Windfield Farms was developed into Don Mills the Taylor family moved their horse farm to Oshawa. Now, fifty-years later, the Taylor family is developing that farm as well. My suggestion is to seek out Taylor family members connected to the Oshawa development. They are the most likely ones to retain a memory or records of the original Don Mills development.

map.jpg

Don Mills.jpg

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,175
  • Don Mills.jpg
    Don Mills.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 930
I'm sure it's too late for this, but I spoke with many original players for a few different G&M pieces (2003 - present) and then put this together with Heritage Toronto in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-8mx8RId0M

Pretty much tells the whole story...

Wonderful video! Thank you for sharing that with us. I've known about these Heritage Toronto tours but have never participated in one. This was a great way to see what these tours are all about. Very informative.

Back