News   Apr 19, 2024
 825     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 654     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Canon Canada HQ (Brampton, Mississauga Rd/Steeles, 5s, Moriyama & Teshima) COMPLETE

wopchop

Building Toronto
Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread, so here goes;

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/newsroom?m=getPress&pid=2160

MISSISSAUGA, ONT. May 6, 2014 – Canon Canada broke ground on its new Canadian Headquarters on Tuesday in Brampton, Ontario. Canon Canada Executives were joined by Japan’s Ambassador to Canada, Norihiro Okuda; Consul-General of Japan, Eiji Yamamoto; Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell; and Brampton City Councillor John Hutton.
Located at the corner of Mississauga Road and Steeles Avenue West, the new headquarters will replace the company’s current office in Mississauga, which has been its home since 1984. Canon expects to complete construction on the five-storey state-of-the-art building by December 2015.

Project is being built by Bird Construction and designed by Moriyama & Teshima

Attachments

• mtacchatriumrender.jpg
    mtacchatriumrender.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • mtacchexteriorrender.jpg
    mtacchexteriorrender.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • mtacchinteriorrender.jpg
    mtacchinteriorrender.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 918
Yay more sprawl.

I see it the other way. Sprawl is endless tracts of residential land requiring long commute times, whereas putting office buildings like this in the suburbs ensures a mix of uses that creates a more sustainable and interesting community.

I see it the other way. Sprawl is endless tracts of residential land requiring long commute times, whereas putting office buildings like this in the suburbs ensures a mix of uses that creates a more sustainable and interesting community.

Maybe ... the argument being would they not be better off suited locating in the likes of MCC or VCC, that's my issue with these sort of developments. It it sprawl ... projects like this are scattered throughout the 905 as opposed to concentrated

not really. Its a nice thought that the people working here will live in the new surrounding subdivisions, but in reality they won't. They live all throughout the GTA and by constructing their new office on the edge of Brampton, Canon is doing nothing but adding 15 minutes onto all of their employees commutes.

That said, sprawl cannot be rid of, its still going to occur in some capacity. Toronto is doing a good job of minimizing sprawl, just a crappy job at properly constructing the sprawl that it does build. sprawl has reduced greatly in the last decade, but its largely still the same built form as before. There should be a push for more European style suburban construction IMO.

not really. Its a nice thought that the people working here will live in the new surrounding subdivisions, but in reality they won't. They live all throughout the GTA and by constructing their new office on the edge of Brampton, Canon is doing nothing but adding 15 minutes onto all of their employees commutes.

That said, sprawl cannot be rid of, its still going to occur in some capacity. Toronto is doing a good job of minimizing sprawl, just a crappy job at properly constructing the sprawl that it does build. sprawl has reduced greatly in the last decade, but its largely still the same built form as before. There should be a push for more European style suburban construction IMO.

Concentrating office development in a single location is how we end up with overcrowded GO Trains, subways and highways. Im more in favour of spreading it out, as it means spreading out commuters also. I do agree that this location isn't quite the best, but you have to start somewhere. More development like this in these areas will lead to more pressure to provide better transit options in these areas.

I'm fine with Office buildings in the suburbs, but I'd prefer that they be near hubs that might be served by transit, either now or in the future.

For example, Vaughan Corporate Centre, where we're building a new subway, or Mississauga near the BRT. Or near future GO RER or SmartTrack stations in Markham. Even better, Eglinton & Don Mills.

It would also be nice if they were designed such that there could be some mixed use within walking distance of the offices, so that the workers can have somewhere to go for lunch or a coffee break.

Concentrating office development in a single location is how we end up with overcrowded GO Trains, subways and highways. Im more in favour of spreading it out, as it means spreading out commuters also. I do agree that this location isn't quite the best, but you have to start somewhere. More development like this in these areas will lead to more pressure to provide better transit options in these areas.

Overcrowded GO Trains are caused by not running enough GO Trains. Overcrowded subways are caused by not treating our suburban (GO) system like an express rail service the way they are in Europe. Overcrowded highways are caused by spread out office development.

Hubs are the way to go, which you can serve with transit. Build the offices at the hub that the buses go to, connect the hubs with LRT, subways, or GO Trains.

Overcrowded GO Trains are caused by not running enough GO Trains. Overcrowded subways are caused by not treating our suburban (GO) system like an express rail service the way they are in Europe. Overcrowded highways are caused by spread out office development.

Hubs are the way to go, which you can serve with transit. Build the offices at the hub that the buses go to, connect the hubs with LRT, subways, or GO Trains.

Thats exactly what I said. But hubs don't come out of nowhere, and trains aren't the only form of transportation. I can see this development becoming the start of a new hub if done right.

It's a shame that many corporations are choosing to build suburban office parks over nodal offices. Steeles and Mississauga Road is essentially the extension of the Meadowvale business park. GO Stations aren't too far away (on both Kitchener and Milton Lines), but not convenient enough even with all-day two way service as the bus connection (and walk from the stop to the office entrance) becomes the weakest link in that commute. State Farm and Honda recently build new head offices off Highway 404 in outer Richmond Hill/Aurora, Loblaws recently built its gigantic HQ just down the street.

I'd love to see some corporate offices in MCC or Downtown Brampton, but if you're looking to put a corporate office in a suburb, you're going to want a suburban office park with ample parking, not contribute to a denser, transit-friendly suburban hub.

not really. Its a nice thought that the people working here will live in the new surrounding subdivisions, but in reality they won't.

That would be their choice but why would you assume they would not? The company is moving to a community with lower housing costs than most (all?) GTA municipalities, if they were considering a move of residence why do we assume they would automatically dismiss living closer to work and being able to get more house for their dollar.

They live all throughout the GTA and by constructing their new office on the edge of Brampton, Canon is doing nothing but adding 15 minutes onto all of their employees commutes.

That statement could only be true if all of their employees currently live east(ish) of their current location at Dixie and Courtney Park......if they have employees in West Mississauga or Brampton or west of those places then their commute just got shortened....no?

The fact is that the company chose this site....it gives Brampton a more diversified economy and tax base and increases (by how much we won't/can't know) the chance that someone living in Brampton or NW Mississauga now lives closer to work. As a Brampton commuter I have heard the rantings of "why not move closer to work" for a lot of years from people....seems strange that moving work closer to home for some people is being met with such criticism.

In the end, it comes down to not all companies want or need to be in the same place.

Last edited:
It's a shame that many corporations are choosing to build suburban office parks over nodal offices. Steeles and Mississauga Road is essentially the extension of the Meadowvale business park. GO Stations aren't too far away (on both Kitchener and Milton Lines), but not convenient enough even with all-day two way service as the bus connection (and walk from the stop to the office entrance) becomes the weakest link in that commute. State Farm and Honda recently build new head offices off Highway 404 in outer Richmond Hill/Aurora, Loblaws recently built its gigantic HQ just down the street.

I'd love to see some corporate offices in MCC or Downtown Brampton, but if you're looking to put a corporate office in a suburb, you're going to want a suburban office park with ample parking, not contribute to a denser, transit-friendly suburban hub.

You're right but longer term things may be changing, take Aviva who located in downtown Markham ... still surface parking though ... but longer term good potential ... moreover I'm sure cheaper rent could have been had outside of downtown Markham.

The Loblaws, Medtronics, Uline buildings are all south of here near the 407. The Canon location is much better than those for transit as it will be a very short ride away on the extended Steeles Zum line from Lisgar GO.

There are offices at MCC...no? DT Brampton, though, will likely never see corporate offices.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I said. But hubs don't come out of nowhere, and trains aren't the only form of transportation. I can see this development becoming the start of a new hub if done right.

This doesn't fit in with my definition of a hub. You don't plop a building down and declare a hub. You locate a hub at something like a GO Station—if you're out in these suburban parts—and then plop down a building.

As a Brampton commuter I have heard the rantings of "why not move closer to work" for a lot of years from people....seems strange that moving work closer to home for some people is being met with such criticism.

As this new building will be out on the western fringe of the GTA's built up area, the net effect of moving it further from the bulk of the GTA's population will be to increase travel time and cost likely for the majority of their employees, congestion for other drivers, and more air pollution all 'round. What a big win!

The Loblaws, Medtronics, Uline buildings are all south of here near the 407. The Canon location is much better than those for transit as it will be a very short ride away on the extended Steeles Zum line from Lisgar GO.

There are offices at MCC...no? DT Brampton, though, will likely never see corporate offices.

This is silly ... yes there are offices at MCC, but there has been just about 0 new office space added (ignoring the small amount that condo developers are ** forced ** to) in the last decade ..

Back