News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 653     0 

Are you voting strategically for Tory?

I'm voting for Tory because

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Tory yesterday. I like his platform, despite its many obvious flaws. And I like the man. I think he's decent, hard working, passionate about the city, compromising and cooperative. I think all that will make him a great mayor.

Ford is Ford.

Chow I think would actually be quite polarising as mayor. There would be a solid segment of council that she'd be sparring with regularly. And I do wonder how much a Liberal Premier and Conservative PM would feel obliged to help her out.

I voted for Tory yesterday. I like his platform, despite its many obvious flaws. And I like the man. I think he's decent, hard working, passionate about the city, compromising and cooperative. I think all that will make him a great mayor.

That's what I've been talking about. I, personally, would find it hard to vote for him, but I'll be happy to have him as mayor.
He actually cares about this city and won't be one to tear it in half to keep hold of rigid ideology.
After the Fords, this is more than we can ask for.

Ford is Ford.

Chow I think would actually be quite polarising as mayor. There would be a solid segment of council that she'd be sparring with regularly. And I do wonder how much a Liberal Premier and Conservative PM would feel obliged to help her out.

I agree with everything you've said here completely, but even if I did like Chow better (and it wouldn't really take all that much), I would still have to go with whoever has the best chance to beat Ford, and that's Tory. It wouldn't matter if Tory had a 20 point lead over Ford in the most recent polls; there's just no way I'm going to leave something like that to chance.

For me, I am waiting for election day. I will do my own tabulation of the polls. If Ford is closer to Tory for first I will vote for Tory. If Chow is closer to Ford for second, I will vote for Chow or Goldkind.

As of now I have it as Tory 44, Ford 30, Chow 24. In this scenario I will "not vote for Tory" . If Ford gets closer to Tory I would consider voting for Tory but only due to strategically reasons.

For me, I am waiting for election day. I will do my own tabulation of the polls. If Ford is closer to Tory for first I will vote for Tory. If Chow is closer to Ford for second, I will vote for Chow or Goldkind.

As of now I have it as Tory 44, Ford 30, Chow 24. In this scenario I will "not vote for Tory" . If Ford gets closer to Tory I would consider voting for Tory but only due to strategically reasons.

Thinking like this is what lets that less desired candidate to sneak through the middle. Thankfully, I don't think most Tory voters are actually strategic voters.

Worse: FPTP makes for authoritarian minority governments dressed up as majorities. One need only look at how whipped votes in a majority parliament work. A "majority" elected by a minority of a near-minority of eligible voters.

It's actually sickening to think of. Studying political science at Carleton was most definitely bad for me. ;)
Now I'm too interested in politics, watch CPAC too much, and don't buy the rubbish about how great our democracy is.

Last edited:
First-past-the-post also means while most may not want a candidate, that candidate may get in even with most people voting against him or her.

In 2010, Ward 10, James Pasternak won with 19.156%. Second place Nancy Oomen had only 16.839%, and third place Brian Shifman had 15.96%. Total candidates for Councillor in Ward 10: 12 people.

See link.

Last edited:

Back