News   Mar 28, 2024
 424     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 730     0 

What is Toronto's current population? (Yes, I Googled)

Uptowner

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope this is an appropriate sub-forum. I have been waiting for quite some time for the City to publish an update. In March 2013 the City released estimates saying that as of July 1, 2012, Toronto had 2,791,140 people, which put it about 84 000 ahead of Chicago. It has been over 20 months and we have not had an update from the City. Does anyone know if this is unusual based on the past decade or so? Is it due to staffing shortages? Is it because there has been no significant change so there is no real need to release an updated figure?

When the info was released in March last year in was giving an estimate for a date 8 months prior. If they were to do that now it would take us back to February this year. As Stats Can and others seem to like July 1, that probably won't happen, though, so I guess the next update will be about July 2013. Does anyone who works for a relevant department know if anything is being done on this or does an election year mean work on that kind of stuff just isn't seen as that important?

According to media reports at the time from July 1, 2011, to July 1, 2012, the population increased by 38 000. If we got the same gross numbers we would be very close to around 2.9 million now. I recently read something in the media, can't remember where, which quoted Urbanation (I think) saying that slowing population growth in the city would impact condo/house sales. That made me wonder again if there were updated figures or if they were working it out based on their own interpretation of other data.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any insight.

Last edited:
Census figures are much more accurate than population estimates anyways.

Figuring out Toronto's current population using estimates can lead to inaccuracy.

Toronto's population in 2011 was around 2.6 million, according to the census figures.

Yes, waiting until 2017 to get the 2016 census results will be more accurate than estimates. I, and presumably some others, however, still find value in the intervening estimates emanating from credible sources.

Toronto is about 2.92 Ford Nations, so just figure out that number and gross it up.

This forum is "Toronto issues", so shouldn't the question be about the city's birth rate?

Actually, census updates are considered to be far more accurate than census figures due to the census undercount. That's the very reason census updates are released a year after the official census numbers. We get census updates every 5 years, The next one will be in 2017. Even if Chicago was to halt the decline in their population, Toronto's growth is quite strong and healthy, the gap will not narrow.

Actually, census updates are considered to be far more accurate than census figures due to the census undercount. That's the very reason census updates are released a year after the official census numbers. We get census updates every 5 years, The next one will be in 2017. Even if Chicago was to halt the decline in their population, Toronto's growth is quite strong and healthy, the gap will not narrow.

Interesting point, thanks. Thanks also for being the first to address the main question. I was starting to regret leaving the high rise section.

Finally, for the record, according to the article linked to Chicago has, at least short term, already reversed its population decline by adding 10k in the relevant 12 month interval.

I seem to remember seeing that it was 2.815 million at the end of 2013, so my guess would be somewhere between 2.835 and 2.840 million today.

Yeah the federal census data undercounts population by sometimes quite a large margin. The census updates are more accurate. I would say the current population of Toronto is 2,825,000 to 2,850,000.

On this Urban Toronto article it notes that Toronto's population growth rate for the past 10 years has been about 38,000/year. It's been nearly 2.5 years since the last population estimate (2,791,140). It's a crude estimate, but I'm going to say that we added just under 100,000 people since then:

(38000*2.5) + 2791140 = 2,886,140

On this Urban Toronto article it notes that Toronto's population growth rate for the past 10 years has been about 38,000/year. It's been nearly 2.5 years since the last population estimate (2,791,140). It's a crude estimate, but I'm going to say that we added just under 100,000 people since then:

(38000*2.5) + 2791140 = 2,886,140
In approximately three years, if the growth rate were constant, Toronto would have three million people in total.

What would be also interesting is to find out were the city's growth is taking place.

We know much is downtown but it would be interesting to know how many people actually live downtown now {Dupont to Waterfront, Bathurst to DVP} an how many in each of the boroughs.

The federal ridings (and the provincial ridings and the wards) boundaries get readjusted every 10 years, after the census. The last census was in 2011, so in the years after that is when the ridings get readjusted, after 2014. In the meantime, the population would have increased, so the following election would not reflect those changes. Since 2011, there would have been a lot of new buildings built and occupied, that are not reflected in the ridings adjustments.

Had Ford won

WelcometoWackylandSign.jpg

Back