News   Mar 28, 2024
 975     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 548     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 842     0 

Old train track as walking paths

When I live in Fredericton I loved walking and riding over the old railway bridges. This gets me thinking why we don't have this in Toronto.

We do. The Beltline, the Toronto West Railpath, and probably more that I am unaware of.

There is one up by the Don Mills Mall as well. A bunch of big ones just outside of the GTA too for a day trip, one runs from Uxbridge all the way up to Haliburton from my understanding, and I think there is one in Caledon as well.

Last edited:
What exactly is preventing the half-mile bridge from being converted into a walking/biking trail?

We have a bunch of former rail lines converted into trails. The Belt Line trail is a famous one and there's also the Leaside Spur Trail in Don Mills.

If you're going to ask "why don't we have rail bridges converted into trails" you first need to ask if we have many bridges to begin, and if any of those aren't being used for trains. Hint: We don't. There's the one discussed in this thread and the old radial line bridge that crosses the Humber (and has been converted to a path), but that's pretty much it. It seems like a foolish question to begin with, like asking "Why don't we have any great Ski resorts? I lived in Whistler and can't see why we don't have that here."

The reason why the Belleville Sub bridge over the Don hasn't been repurposed is because there's plans to re-use it for trains one day. Any trains that come from the CP lines to the northeast (from locations such as Malvern, Peterborough, and north Pickering) would need to use this line to access Union Station. The line and bridge is owned by GO and plans for putting it back into service are discussed on a regular basis.

We have a bunch of former rail lines converted into trails. The Belt Line trail is a famous one and there's also the Leaside Spur Trail in Don Mills.

If you're going to ask "why don't we have rail bridges converted into trails" you first need to ask if we have many bridges to begin, and if any of those aren't being used for trains. Hint: We don't. There's the one discussed in this thread and the old radial line bridge that crosses the Humber (and has been converted to a path), but that's pretty much it. It seems like a foolish question to begin with, like asking "Why don't we have any great Ski resorts? I lived in Whistler and can't see why we don't have that here."

The reason why the Belleville Sub bridge over the Don hasn't been repurposed is because there's plans to re-use it for trains one day. Any trains that come from the CP lines to the northeast (from locations such as Malvern, Peterborough, and north Pickering) would need to use this line to access Union Station. The line and bridge is owned by GO and plans for putting it back into service are discussed on a regular basis.

I was asking only with regard to the Belleville sub (thanks for providing the proper name), not Toronto's rail bridges generally. I also did not know there were current plans to use it again.

Thanks for the info.

I was asking only with regard to the Belleville sub (thanks for providing the proper name), not Toronto's rail bridges generally. I also did not know there were current plans to use it again.

The comment about rail bridges generally is response to Beez's original question.

There is one up by the Don Mills Mall as well. A bunch of big ones just outside of the GTA too for a day trip, one runs from Uxbridge all the way up to Haliburton from my understanding, and I think there is one in Caledon as well.
There's an even longer one from Uxbridge - it goes all the way to Perth, a good 300 km. The only gap is a section of active rail line in Peterborough.

A good resource for trails in Ontario, including rail trails, is ontariotrailmaps.ca.

Back