News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

Toronto based media video streaming & technology

ehlow

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry but I feel like I have to rant about something.

Toronto or Canadian newspapers, Toronto news TV networks etc, all have terrible video streaming & outdated technology.

Examples: Globe & Mail, CBC news, Toronto Star, CP 24.

Live streaming the mayoral debates is a terrible experience. You get errors half the time, I've had it take down Flash, choppiness, bad quality. Once live streaming has finished, it takes several hours before they are able to upload a video for those who missed it.

Ex. I see that Globe & Mail tweeted a video. I go to their website to watch the video. After the ad plays, the flash video player gives an error message instead of playing the damn video.

The thing is: this problem has already been solved. Use Youtube. It supports live streaming and has perfected video streaming. None of the above problems exist when either live streaming or watching a youtube video. There's no choppiness or random loss of quality, you can pause or rewind streaming video, and most of all: the basic functionality works. You can play a video. You can move back and forth in the video without the whole thing crashing. Performance is good.

If these media companies want to use their own in-house solutions, then at least make sure basic functionality works on all browsers & platforms.

Also please hire some decent tech people. A lot of newspaper or news websites are not good and they can do much more with the web as a platform than the mediocre job they are currently doing, which is simply taking newspaper articles and fitting them into the existing web template.

Look at what companies who understand web technology are doing with their websites & articles, then read any Toronto based newspaper article online to see what I mean.

Second that - I avoid anything to do with video on most news-sites for that reason (forcing you through a 30s ad for a useless news video is another reason to).

AoD

Yes, it's good that some videos from the newspapers or TV networks are on youtube (ex CBC), however, the debates being live-streamed are not, and many videos on their main sites are not.

They could use some other video streaming service too, as long as it works.

I don't mind watching ads, I'll happily watch ads. What I mind is when the ads are over I can't watch the actual video, or the video crashes mid-stream.

I don't know the details, but I assume the content providers get some share of the ad revenue with youtube.

With video elsewhere on the internet everything works fine, but when I go CityTV, cp24, anything Toronto related, it's like going back in time.

Let me just be more positive and say, I believe when Globe and Mail had their debate, it was streamed live using YouTube. And guess what? It worked perfectly. Because YouTube works.

Back