News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Jennifer Keesmaat's Mid-Rises

Hamiltonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Jennifer Keesmaat has long been promoting the building of mid-rises along avenues. I've seen many mock-ups of how she would like it to look but is there anywhere in Toronto where her vision of a mid-rise avenue has been realized? Even for just a few blocks...

If someone could post photos, that would be great.

I quite like Eglinton between Avenue and Bathurst. Old-time midrises right up against the street. Seems to me to be a good model for a livable urban area.

I quite like Eglinton between Avenue and Bathurst. Old-time midrises right up against the street. Seems to me to be a good model for a livable urban area.

Yes, the early 19th century brick walk-up apartment buildings in midtown are nice.

In terms of new construction however, I really like ones like B-street, Duke etc. However they haven't really filled up a whole street in order to create an avenue with midrises along both sides yet.

Jennifer Keesmaat has long been promoting the building of mid-rises along avenues. I've seen many mock-ups of how she would like it to look but is there anywhere in Toronto where her vision of a mid-rise avenue has been realized? Even for just a few blocks...

If someone could post photos, that would be great.

Yonge, south of St Clair. That red low-rise building on the left has a development proposal.

14833798586_47f7cca355_b.jpg

Last edited:
King and Shaw is another good example, as is Carlaw south of Dundas. St. Clair just west of Yonge is an older, very handsome stretch as well. I feel that the vast majority of mid-rise avenues are still somewhat young and will take some time to feel complete.

Last edited:
Vaughan Road probably fits At least for a few blocks north of St. Clair.

Great examples here. St Clair West of Yonge is great.

Eglinton East of Yonge also has a lot of midrise, although a lot are office buildings.

I did a report on the Sheppard West stretch about four years ago. The mid-rise policies on Sheppard have been around since 1993, so it's not something new. But they have evolved considerably in the last 10 years. Over 40 bungalows have been torn down. Some of the new building's are very nice.

You can find it online here.

Last edited:
King East and Queen East are also getting a pretty strong mid-rise flavour toward the Don River in the Corktown area.

King East at Cherry Street
9316370349_2613266c9d_z.jpg

Queen East at Jarvis
14418011416_91a948ef4e_z.jpg

Attachments

• 9316370349_2613266c9d_z.jpg
    9316370349_2613266c9d_z.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 983
  • 14418011416_91a948ef4e_z.jpg
    14418011416_91a948ef4e_z.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 978
Let's remember, though, that this policy isn't new or specific to Keesmaat; indeed, a decade or so ago we might have been speaking of "Paul Bedford's Mid-Rises". (And heck: let's even go back to the Crombie era, St Lawrence Neighbourhood et al)

King East and Queen East are also getting a pretty strong mid-rise flavour toward the Don River in the Corktown area.

Agreed. IMO the area of King East, Regent, West Don Lands, Lower Don Lands are all coalescing into a one great area of the city.

Another area of Old Toronto/East York that I find to be a a good candidate of an (older) suburban-style midrise avenue is Cosburn between Broadview and Pape. Bike lanes, tree-lined, bus route, narrow road: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.689297,-79.3493223,3a,75y,254.86h,87.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUmMGgV8NAi5PBndPgWr8mQ!2e0

Sheppard West near Allen Rd is starting to fill in with mid-rise:
http://goo.gl/maps/24QSx

Of course Google streetview might be outdated. I think it is midrise on both sides for a few blocks at least, east of Allen Rd.

I thought Portrait Condo turned out very nice on Sheppard. For such a long building it's got a decent street presence. More work/live then retail on the ground, but it reflects the reality of the corridor. Way better than the bungalows that were in it's place.

There is another further west that is about the same scale (300 Units) at 847 Sheppard West. This one should also really change the feeling of the street, especially if the quality is as good as Portrait.

sheppardave_560.jpg

Attachments

• sheppardave_560.jpg
    sheppardave_560.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 740
Sheppard West near Allen Rd is starting to fill in with mid-rise:
http://goo.gl/maps/24QSx

Of course Google streetview might be outdated. I think it is midrise on both sides for a few blocks at least, east of Allen Rd.

As fond as I am of these midrises, they won't create a livable, human-scale neighborhood ever. Sheppard is too wide of a street to allow that to happen.

Back