News   Mar 28, 2024
 86     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Google Maps: Toronto in 3D!

Why hasn't the satellite imagery for Toronto been updated in 5 years? Recently the Bing Maps satellite imagery was updated for parts of the city.

Apple maps has some great 3D modelling. Too bad it can't be accessed from the web browser, without a tablet or iphone.

Why hasn't the satellite imagery for Toronto been updated in 5 years? Recently the Bing Maps satellite imagery was updated for parts of the city.

Google has updated the imagery for the GTA....you'll need Google Earth in order to see these updates. Use the historical slider and you will see 2014 imagery (colour isn't ideal)

That's brutal. One can barely even make out anything. Why don't we still have birds eye view for Toronto, I wonder? I noticed other Canadian cities got this well over a year ago. You'd think a major city like Toronto would be a greater priority.

I'm not seeing it in 3D at all. Does it not work in Classic Maps?
Ah, I clicked on the link, and it opened it in Classic Maps for me too, where you can't see it. Open it in an incognito window, or in a browser for which you have no settings saved.

Apple maps has some great 3D modelling. Too bad it can't be accessed from the web browser, without a tablet or iphone.

I strongly agree. Apple Maps is way ahead of most other services in terms of 3D viewing. I still opt for Google when it comes to directions though.

I strongly agree. Apple Maps is way ahead of most other services in terms of 3D viewing. I still opt for Google when it comes to directions though.

Here here. Say what you will about Apple's map data (which is provided by TeleAtlas, most other services use NavTeq. Google at one point switched from NavTeq to TeleAtlas, and while no data is 100%, had so many blatant errors that I switched to Live/Bing Maps in disgust! Fortunately Google came to their senses and canceled their contract early and just used their Street View data), but their 3D modeling is spot on.

Taking a closer look at the places rendered in 3D, it seems it is in fact the eastern GTA. The rendering goes from Scarborough out to Bowmanville (Newcastle is in 2D).

Googles satellite imagery is normally updated around every 4 years, so it should have been done in 2013. They probably just decided to delay it as they will probably be doing the 3D stuff soon. Toronto is the last large Canadian city without the new form of 3D. (even Sudbury has it)

Back