News   Mar 28, 2024
 193     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 669     0 

If Toronto had "London" or "Montreal" type boroughs

In 1954, Metropolitan Toronto was modelled on Greater London, England.

4_1_mtpbjurisdiction_0.jpg

f0244-01.gif

Last edited:
Yes, though I suppose a mid-1960s reorganization would have carved up the townships into Don Mills, Willowdale, Downsview, Rexdale, etc.

I've always thought of the pre-amalgamation cities (North York, East York, York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Old Toronto) as "boroughs" of Toronto similar to the boroughs of NYC.

Shucks, you can do that, today all you need is 500 signatures (by electors) and a demand of a new ward (borough) by petition and it must be heard and acted on by council within 90 days...if not the petition can be appealed to the OMB.....
See Section 129 Parts 4, 5 and 6 of CoTA.....

Let's keep in mind that when mega-Montreal deamalgamated, it wasn't simply back to the former municipalities, but the former City of Montreal itself was broken up into boroughs a la Greater London.

Toronto's closest approximation to that LonMon borough model are the former federal/provincial riding boundaries that form the basis of today's municipal wards; but being what they are, they're rather arbitrary and "open to adjustment"...

Let's keep in mind that when mega-Montreal deamalgamated, it wasn't simply back to the former municipalities, but the former City of Montreal itself was broken up into boroughs a la Greater London.

Toronto's closest approximation to that LonMon borough model are the former federal/provincial riding boundaries that form the basis of today's municipal wards; but being what they are, they're rather arbitrary and "open to adjustment"...

I though Montreal never had "former municipalities". When the merger happened, it was a downtown Montreal with a population of 700k and a bunch of small municipalities in the 50-100k range. When the merger ended, some of those small municipalities left, but they simply returned to their former self - but many stayed with Montreal.

Since Toronto had some mergers occur in the 1950's and 60's, so when the latest merger happened, it was something with past precedence and contained boroughs of similar size.

Though Montreal had a population of over 1 million and unlike the old City of Toronto (pre-1967 boundaries) it had more semi-suburban 1940s/1950s neighborhoods (i.e. Snowdon, CDN) within its boundaries, while the City of Toronto in 1930 (35 square miles) was pretty much all built up.

I though Montreal never had "former municipalities". When the merger happened, it was a downtown Montreal with a population of 700k and a bunch of small municipalities in the 50-100k range. When the merger ended, some of those small municipalities left, but they simply returned to their former self - but many stayed with Montreal.

Ah, but the governance of Montreal itself was broken up--witness the borough map

500px-Carte_Montr%C3%A9al_Arrondissements.svg.png

In Toronto terms, it'd be as if each pair of wards (1-2 = Etobicoke North, 3-4 = Etobicoke Centre, etc) didn't just have a pair of Councillors, but their own elected mini-Council.

Back