News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 631     0 

List of new approvals?

bmiller

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a list of the 755 stories of new approvals by city council this past week? I can garner bits and pieces from searching, but some of it is speculation, and other bits appear to be fact.
Building heights seem to vary, depending on the article.

Is there a list of the 755 stories of new approvals by city council this past week? I can garner bits and pieces from searching, but some of it is speculation, and other bits appear to be fact.
Building heights seem to vary, depending on the article.

Toronto’s ‘Manhattanization’: Downtown development growing at ‘mind blowing’ rate

For more evidence of the astounding pace of growth in Toronto, one need look no further than the past two days of city council, which approved 18 new buildings in the downtown, including three office towers.

The development bonanza works out to 755 additional storeys, or 6,887 units — more fuel for the “Manhattanization†of Canada’s largest city.

Chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat called the amount of work her department has processed “mind blowing†and “astronomical,†noting that it comes in addition to the 70,000 units already approved and in the pipeline to be constructed across the city.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ice-development-growing-at-mind-blowing-rate/

If you look around, you will see that the approvals of all these 18 bldgs. have been posted on UT this week:cool:

City council approved these projects - but the final reports for most (if not all) had been posted when it showed up at the Toronto East York Community Council last month (or the months before) - and of course UT would have a thread on these way before.

AoD

Isn't the word "Manhattanization" is bit sensationalization?

I like one comment under the news report, and I quote:

"Manhattan does not have a few dozen massive towers dwarfing a sea of detached private homes with front lawns and back yards, which is what's happening in downtown Toronto. Instead, Manhattan has streets of brownstones (basically large townhouses) and midrise buildings about 6 to 15 storeys. To get to the true Manhattanization, Toronto needs to get rid of inefficient private detached homes and old two-storeys, which ain't gonna happen anytime soon. That, and some decent transit."

Downtown Toronto will never be "Manhattanized" and will never look and feel like Manhattan.

"Manhattan does not have a few dozen massive towers dwarfing a sea of detached private homes with front lawns and back yards, which is what's happening in downtown Toronto. Instead, Manhattan has streets of brownstones (basically large townhouses) and midrise buildings about 6 to 15 storeys. To get to the true Manhattanization, Toronto needs to get rid of inefficient private detached homes and old two-storeys, which ain't gonna happen anytime soon. That, and some decent transit."

Downtown Toronto will never be "Manhattanized" and will never look and feel like Manhattan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattanization

thankfully, that's true. Toronto is Toronto.

I wish we could slowdown on the Toronto looks like Manhattan thing. We have and will have our own look, feel and density.

Does Amsterdam want to be Paris?

Last edited:

It's just a phrase, relax.

Anyways, Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey, which aren't that far from Manhattan, do have detached private homes with yards ;)

thankfully, that's true. Toronto is Toronto.

I wish we could slowdown on the Toronto looks like Manhattan thing. We have and will have our own look, feel and density.

Does Amsterdam want to be Paris?

agree.
I didn't imply Manhattanization is good or bad or something we want. Just stated the fact that downtown Toronto will not look like Manhattan in 50 years, and the catch phrase is too often misplaced.

It's just a phrase, relax.

Anyways, Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey, which aren't that far from Manhattan, do have detached private homes with yards ;)

yes, but the word used is "Manhattanization", not NYCization.

From the National Post article:

The city also secured two large parks in the past two days, totalling 5.3 acres, and approved several mixed-use buildings.

What are those two large parks?

Last edited:

Back