News   Mar 28, 2024
 481     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

TTC: Wi-Fi in Subway Stations

alexb805

Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn't find any threads about this topic.

Just saw some signs about Wi-Fi installations on some stations.
Also I saw people complaining about not having cellphone signal and not being able to call. There is a bunch of applications that allow you to call to any phone free. I tried using it from underground via TTC internet and it works great

Attachments

• IMG_20140827_115353.jpg
    IMG_20140827_115353.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20140827_115915.jpg
    IMG_20140827_115915.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 444
what I've read in other spots - and people will likely confirm if that no one signed on to provide the cell service, and that is why its lacking.

Rogers, Bell and Telus won't sign on due to competitive reasons. Wind Mobile was interested in signing on but financing was an issue.

I'm not expecting any cell service underground for a while.

After Phase 1 is complete, installation of WiFi will begin in the tunnels. I believe that will happen in 2017. That means I'll soon be able to feed my UT addiction 24/7 ;)

Rogers, Bell and Telus won't sign on due to competitive reasons. Wind Mobile was interested in signing on but financing was an issue.

I'm not expecting any cell service underground for a while.

I think the point someone made though, is that most smartphones have apps that allow voice over wifi services (in bberry it is best done through BBM...if you are in a wifi zone you don't need cell service to call another bbm contact...heck, if the wifi is good enough you can video call them).

I think the point someone made though, is that most smartphones have apps that allow voice over wifi services (in bberry it is best done through BBM...if you are in a wifi zone you don't need cell service to call another bbm contact...heck, if the wifi is good enough you can video call them).

That's true, however you still won't be able to use SMS or phone calls without cellular service.

However I do agree that I don't think that it will be a big issue. SMS usage is plummeting (being replaced by service like iMessage, BBM) and so are voice calls. In a few years, wireless providers like Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind will be nothing more than dumb pipes for your mobile Internet; essentially wireless ISPs. We're not too far off from the point where everything you do on your phone will be able to be done on WiFi.

Considering how much of Union has been "exposed" lately, I'm surprised a lot of the wifi stuff hadn't been plumbed in via 2nd platform workspaces, and thus going live would be in the reasonably near future.

Queen-Wellesley deserve it soon though, considering that those are stations at which people have long waits due to peak trains being jammed to the doors.

You can use apps like Viber Out or others to send SMS or Call to regular landlines or cellphone number via Wifi network and I tested successfully this theory at St George Station
That's true, however you still won't be able to use SMS or phone calls without cellular service.

However I do agree that I don't think that it will be a big issue. SMS usage is plummeting (being replaced by service like iMessage, BBM) and so are voice calls. In a few years, wireless providers like Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind will be nothing more than dumb pipes for your mobile Internet; essentially wireless ISPs. We're not too far off from the point where everything you do on your phone will be able to be done on WiFi.

Considering how much of Union has been "exposed" lately, I'm surprised a lot of the wifi stuff hadn't been plumbed in via 2nd platform workspaces, and thus going live would be in the reasonably near future.

It wouldn't be Toronto if we didn't property coordinate construction ;)

It's not a big deal though. The Wifi installations are nearly invisible. It's not a huge amount of work to install them.

Back