News   Mar 28, 2024
 591     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Burger King\Tim Hortons Merger and Head Office

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is a lot of discussion and speculation about this merger. My question is whether the new company would be based in Toronto and if so, where in the city it would be located?

Does it make a difference where they locate, does it even make a difference if its a PO Box?
Based on US corp tax paid in 2013 an extra 37M approx would go to the CRA coffers rather than the IRS if HO was in Canada.

Does it make a difference where they locate, does it even make a difference if its a PO Box?
Based on US corp tax paid in 2013 an extra 37M approx would go to the CRA coffers rather than the IRS if HO was in Canada.

Are there any jobs at that HO? If so, do any of those people pay personal income taxes? Do they spend any of their after tax dollars? Etc etc

Are there any jobs at that HO? If so, do any of those people pay personal income taxes? Do they spend any of their after tax dollars? Etc etc

According to the Miami Herald BK's operations office wouldn't move from Miami....so from that info I would surmise a minimal presence.... a PO Box plus no more than ten clerical/legal/finance staff for the foreseeable future

Breaking News Money ‏@breakingmoney 15m
Burger King confirms deal to buy Tim Hortons with financial assist from Buffett - @AP

Well, that happened.

There is a lot of discussion and speculation about this merger. My question is whether the new company would be based in Toronto and if so, where in the city it would be located?

Based on my read is that they aren't merging to create a combined company in so much as Burger King is buying Tim's so that they can use Canada as its primary HQ for tax purposes (taking advantage of Canada's lower corp tax rate). Tim Hortons will still be situated in Oakville, BK will be based in Miami.

Burger King's corporate registration will be based in Oakville. The actual jobs will stay in Miami. The only difference we will see is additional tax revenues in Canada and maybe more corporate accounting and legal work. But depending on how its structured we could actually lose some of that work if they decide to consolidate the corporate work in Miami. The actual work (and jobs) of running the two chains shouldn't change much at all.

You and your girlfriend live separately. You decide to get married for tax purposes but keep your old living arrangements. That's what is happening here.

Just financial shuffling. Much ado about nothing for Toronto. Tim's was owned by Wendy's for a while and nothing significantly changed.

I was reading about this online and American posters were pissed that they would try to avoid paying the higher tax rate, even calling for boycotts.

I was reading about this online and American posters were pissed that they would try to avoid paying the higher tax rate, even calling for boycotts.
It's like (theoretically) Canadian Tire moving their "HQ" to Switzerland for tax purposes. I'm not sure a boycott would generally accomplish much, but I can certainly understand why there would be calls for one.

funny to hear this considering many Canadian corps and individuals complain about the high corp tax rate of Canada.
yet we have an American corp changing their corp registration from US to Canada ?!?

Based on my read is that they aren't merging to create a combined company in so much as Burger King is buying Tim's so that they can use Canada as its primary HQ for tax purposes (taking advantage of Canada's lower corp tax rate). Tim Hortons will still be situated in Oakville, BK will be based in Miami.

When have you heard about Canadian Corps complain about high tax rates ?? ... That's news to me ... personal tax rates are a completely different animal ..

Back