News   Mar 28, 2024
 375     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 726     0 

Roads: New Digital Turning Restriction Signals

alexb805

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anybody knows about those digital traffic Signs at Yonge/King and when they go to roll out
Also what are those???
IMG_20140819_182543.jpg
IMG_20140819_181209.jpg
IMG_20140819_181117.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140819_182543.jpg
    IMG_20140819_182543.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,438
  • IMG_20140819_181209.jpg
    IMG_20140819_181209.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,431
  • IMG_20140819_181117.jpg
    IMG_20140819_181117.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,352
giant no left turn signs - they lite up when the ban is in effect. There is similar setup at King / Spadina that just went live this afternoon.

Unless they replace the old painted signs, these signs are just more streetscape clutter. Some drivers will still take the risk and make the illegal left turn at rush hour.

Unless they replace the old painted signs, these signs are just more streetscape clutter. Some drivers will still take the risk and make the illegal left turn at rush hour.

Well, hopefully the new signage is a precursor to increased enforcement......would be cool if they could have a bunch of these hanging above the streetcar lanes but instead of declaring when it was wrong to make a left hand turn they would indicate when cars were banned from those lanes.

Also up at King and Jarvis, eastbound. As noted above, these will only work if there is enforcement. The City gave up painting the yellow lines in intersections to remind motorists they should not enter if they can't leave (remains still visible at King/Jarvis) because there was no enforcement so I am not optimistic.

Also up at King and Jarvis, eastbound. As noted above, these will only work if there is enforcement. The City gave up painting the yellow lines in intersections to remind motorists they should not enter if they can't leave (remains still visible at King/Jarvis) because there was no enforcement so I am not optimistic.

They were installing these at King & University eb a few weeks back at midday and caused traffic to be backed up on King all the way back to Spadina. I managed to walk past three streetcars between Spadina & University. All the cost of installation is for nothing if there is no enforcement.

I see idiots making left turns at Yonge/Queen all the time, despite being honked by drivers behind.

Why is there no enforcement of the no-turn rules that are already in place?

Who handles the enforcement - city by-law officers or police? Who is to blame?

Is it funding? It is because they think that pulling over cars will create more traffic? Or something else?

There is a major major problem here. I'd like to know who to blame so I can contact the appropriate department.

Is it funding? It is because they think that pulling over cars will create more traffic? Or something else?

There is a major major problem here. I'd like to know who to blame so I can contact the appropriate department.

Police. They enforce the bus lanes in the suburbs, but the downtown divisions don't seem to have any interest.

Though no left turns is something they tend to enforce. I've been pulled over before in a no left turn between 4 pm and 6 pm spot before.

The police in the downtown are too busy supervising construction sites... not.

Why?

Not enough police officers? Spending their time on more important infractions/crime? They don't care about traffic?

Again, why?

I can only speculate but it may have something to do with seeing congestion as an unbeatable problem and that every time they clamp down on things they have the unintended consequence of making it worse.

A couple of examples......

1 when they were clamping down on the folks that got stuck in intersections because they entered them with no chance of getting out of them before the light cleared all they could do was block a lane of traffic with cars they pulled over and forcing more people into the other lanes and making the congestion worse.....

2 at the intersection of Fort York and Bathurst in the morning it is a fairly regular practice of the less considerate/patient drivers to turn the right hand turn lane into a second left hand turn lane, on the few ocassions when police clamp down on this they station an officer just north of the intersection and pull over the offending driver....again blocking the lane for a fair length of time and causing even greater congestion on, both, Fort York and Bathurst.

Again, this is just speculation (and I am not saying it is right) but so many of these road rules downtown (like no left hand turns off of King) are designed to ease congestion...when the enforcement just makes it worse (even temporarily) they must wonder if it is the right thing to do.

UPDATE: KING/YONGE digital sighns intersection is live now

I really love the idea of those signs. Makes is so clear. Its difficult to see the times under a stationary sign .

Attachments

• IMG_20140822_181209.jpg
    IMG_20140822_181209.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_20140822_181227.jpg
    IMG_20140822_181227.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 801

Back