News   Mar 18, 2024
 786     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 776     0 

Geeks (and others), which cell phone to buy?

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am ready to retire my little flip phone.
What should I buy or not buy in the median price range? I have been advised to purchase the hardware first and shop for a provider second.

As I mentioned in the BlackBerry thread, I'm actually waiting for the BlackBerry Passport to come out next month before I decide which phone to upgrade my current BlackBerry Bold 9780 to.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the Passport most certainly isn't for everyone. In fact, I don't expect it to make any major dents into Apple and Samsung's stronghold on the handheld market, but for business people, I think the Passport looks like a fabulous device, although I'll reserve any real comments until I can try it out in person.

I am ready to retire my little flip phone.
What should I buy or not buy in the median price range? I have been advised to purchase the hardware first and shop for a provider second.

well, you should weigh the pros and cons of buying the hardware first - I know a lot of people say this - but with the new contract system (2 years rather than 3) and then usually getting the phone for free if you sign the contract with the provider...there is still a good deal there.

if you plan on getting a new phone every two years - that is the route to take - contract with provider ad they provide free phone.

but if you plan to keep the phone for a while - and want to switch to different providers throughtout that lifetime with the phone - i reccommend buying the phone outright on your own first.

hope that helps and good luck.

Wait till January 23, 2015.

From link:

CRTC bans 30-day wait to cancel cable, Internet, phone

Effective Jan. 23, companies may no longer require advance notice, the commission says in its first decision following the Let's Talk hearings.

Canadians should have an easier time cancelling their cable starting early next year.

The Canadian Radio and Television Commission (CRTC) has announced a decision that consumers will no longer have to give advance notice if they want to switch television, Internet or phone service providers.

This is the first decision to come out of the CRTC’s Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians hearings on the future of television that were held earlier this year. It decrees that consumers will no longer have to give 30 days’ notice if they want to cancel a service.

The order goes into effect on Jan. 23, 2015. It’s hoped the move will allow consumers to better take advantage of a competitive marketplace.

The 30-day cancellation provision was a source of many consumer complaints. Thursday’s ruling follows a similar order applying to cellphone services that has been in place since December 2013.

The Let’s Talk public hearings started on Sept. 8, and included consumer groups and industry representatives is a discussion of ways to improve services for consumers.

If you are tech savvy don't get an iPhone. If you aren't tech savvy and don't mind getting ripped off buy an iPhone.

Update.
I was given an Iphone 4 by my daughter (she had upgraded), I had it activated to replace the flip phone on the existing contract I have with Bell ie: 12 months/300 minutes/ $100 (numbers are rounded for simplicity). This allows me to make and receive voice messages as before and text messenging which I could not do with the flip phone. I also can use the camera which the flip phone lacked, this is a huge plus. The phone synchs with my home computer allowing downloading pix etc. My needs are minimal and seem to be satisfied by this arrangement to the point that I am not sure I need anything better.

I'm looking towards purchasing the OnePlus One as soon as I have a job and can get an invite.

I am convinced it is the best phone on the market for its price, certainly comparable to the new iPhones, Galaxys and Google Nexus's. However, it has a very awkward purchasing system requiring one to receive an invitation in order to purchase the phone.

Further to message #11.
I now find myself up to my keypad in Apple things having purchased an IPAD 2 Air for my bed ridden wife as she is unable to support her laptop with comfort. Holy technology! She (and I) will be years figuring the thing out. We bought it for the capability to speak to our children and their off spring with pictures. All of our kids have these things too.

Back