News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 762     0 

Doctor requested DNR forms

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
Imagine that your wife is admitted to a major Toronto hospital with problems that are not diagnosed but serious enough to justify admittance. Before testing and diagnostic procedures begin, you as the husband, are approached by a doctor to say that they will be approaching your wife with the recommendation that she sign a DNR (do not resuscitate) form even though no diagnosis or treatment plan has been reached?

Is this a “let's give up on this patient and move on to the next†permission being sought? Great confidence builder for the patient, does your dentist seek this KYA protection?

It seems to me that a DNR statement should be made by the patient if he or she so chooses independently and possibly in an effort to escape the indignity of a half hearted effort made by doctors in a terminal situation.

When questioned about this request the doctor assured me that this was becoming normal in ANY hospital admission and was required, like it or not. I think it is an effort to make an end run around family that want lives to be extended at any cost, it is very difficult to challenge a DNR order when the issuer of such order is dead.

If this DNR form is mandatory why was no signature required at the time of admission?

Discuss, I will have a difficult discussion tomorrow morning attempting to shield my wife from these people.

Discuss, I will have a difficult discussion tomorrow morning attempting to shield my wife from these people.

At the end of the day, you may mean well, but ultimately the decision also belong to your wife. A good doctor should be able to soften this issue (though bedside manners is by no means a universal trait).

AoD

Last edited:
Perhaps the hospital can save time and money, and offer people a loaded gun at the admissions desk.

Does seem a poor practice if the issue in question has not been diagnosed.

Good luck Spider. I hope this turns out well!

When questioned about this request the doctor assured me that this was becoming normal in ANY hospital admission and was required, like it or not. I think it is an effort to make an end run around family that want lives to be extended at any cost, it is very difficult to challenge a DNR order when the issuer of such order is dead.

That's really unfortunate that your wife is ill, and it's always tough on loved ones, but you have no right to prevent your wife from making her intentions known. And more importantly, I can't believe that anyone would ever so be so selfish as to not respect someone else's DNR. They shouldn't be challenged, period.

And because you seem unclear on this, have you seen the form? The DNR form doesn't bind the patient one way or the other, it just asks them to make their intentions known. If your wife would want to to be resuscitated she can indicate that. Why would it possibly offend you, to have that intention written down?

but you have no right to prevent your wife from making her intentions known.
Absolutely correct but we are not discussing her volunteering her intentions we're discussing the doctors trying to impose theirs on her. Not the same thing.

The doctors aren't imposing anything. All they're asking her to do is fill out a form indicating whether or not she would like to be resuscitated. Why does that offend you?

The doctors aren't imposing anything. All they're asking her to do is fill out a form indicating whether or not she would like to be resuscitated.

+1

Sounds to me like it's likely their protocol to ask those types of questions early on. You're in the hospital, so it becomes a part of the information they require or want to clear up early on in the process. It's also something that many people do not consider until it's far too late, which makes it a good point of discussion.

They aren't imposing any ideas on you-- in fact, it gives you choice. The patient gets to choose what they would want in that scenario, and doctors have to follow the choice that the patient made, whether it be DNR or to be resuscitated. Personally, I'd be glad they asked!

I hope everything goes smoothly for your wife! All the best

Absolutely correct but we are not discussing her volunteering her intentions we're discussing the doctors trying to impose theirs on her. Not the same thing.

I say bravo for the doctor who cared enough to show the initiative to take the individual's rights into consideration (and possibly save taxpayer money at the same time, a rare alignment) instead of being a slave to trendy political correctness.

Back