News   Apr 16, 2024
 271     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 364     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 721     0 

TTC: Glencairn Station Skylight Replacement Project

Fantastic news. I feel like Glencairn isn't architecturally complete without the art component; that shot of colour is really needed.

Now, if they'd just bring back Arc-en-ciel in Yorkdale as well...

Fantastic news. I feel like Glencairn isn't architecturally complete without the art component; that shot of colour is really needed.

Now, if they'd just bring back Arc-en-ciel in Yorkdale as well...

Indeed - and they got the original artist (now in her 80s) in the process. I think Yorkdale need a complete restoration - the concrete wall units are in really sad shape (cracked, stained) and ditto the terrazzo - everything needs work.

There is quite a bit of room for significant improvement, with the ubiquity of LED lighting and cheap microcontrollers - you can literally power something like this with Arduino.

AoD

Last edited:
I'd rather TTC did the other Glencairn project first - extending the St Clair West turnback as long promised.

I'd rather TTC did the other Glencairn project first - extending the St Clair West turnback as long promised.
I must agree. That would make Glencairn station busier (in a superficial way). If Glencairn station becomes a turnback, then it may justify having a Gateway Newstands there without the need to go to Marlee Village.

St. Clair west turnback is moving up to Eglinton West in the spring from my understanding, and then to Wilson once the spadina extension opens.

St. Clair west turnback is moving up to Eglinton West in the spring from my understanding, and then to Wilson once the spadina extension opens.

So when spadina opens, westbound AM peak departures from Union will alternate between Wilson-bound and VMC-bound?

So when spadina opens, westbound AM peak departures from Union will alternate between Wilson-bound and VMC-bound?
Something like that ... presumably in the same way they currently alternate between Downsview-bound and St. Clair West-bound.

Glencairn Station - skylight replacement
August 2017 to March 2019
Work description
TTC will be replacing leaking skylights and structural supports along the entire length of the station as well as those over each of the three entrances (Glencairn Avenue - north and south side as well as Viewmount Avenue). The coloured skylights will incorporate art work by the original artist, Rita Letendre.

In order to complete the work over the Viewmount entrance, access will be restricted for approximately one month. The start date has yet to be established, however signage will be in place prior to the closing to provide customers with advance warning.

The work will also require partial all-day lane and sidewalk restrictions on Glencairn Avenue and Viewmount Avenue while work is completed over these entrances. Toronto Police and Customer Service Representatives will be on hand to assist when required.

A portion of Benner Park (north side of Viewmount Avenue) will also be used for site office trailers during construction.

TTC service
Other than the restricted access on Viewmount Avenue noted above, the station will remain operational during construction.

Work hours
The majority of the work will be completed between Monday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Night work will only be scheduled when absolutely necessary.

For further information:
Lito Romano, Senior Community Liaison, 416-397-8699, lito.romano@ttc.ca.

Back