News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 602     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Global Village Backpackers Redevelopment (460 King W, Allied REIT, 3s, Gensler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now the Hostel site at King & Spadina is in play too, it having closed on the weekend.

That's too bad. It was nice having budget traveler-types in the area, not just rich douchy types.

I hope they don't just demo the second empire mansion, even if it has been badly abused over the years. Restored, that would be an incredible landmark for one of Toronto's best gateways.

Which is the hotel, the shorter building fronting King only correct ? is the larger structure to the north separate ?

I heard that the hostel owner died, which might be a partial explanation for the closing.

Regarding the hostel building itself, there was some fairly recent chit-chat about redeveloping the site for office space. It is listed as heritage.

Too bad it is disappearing.

I heard that the hostel owner died, which might be a partial explanation for the closing.

Regarding the hostel building itself, there was some fairly recent chit-chat about redeveloping the site for office space. It is listed as heritage.

Too bad it is disappearing.

Sorry to be off topic to the above office development
Global Village Backpackers: Hostel closes doors in historic Toronto building ....http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ric_toronto_building_at_king_and_spadina.html

^Sold to Allied REIT:
LtxPrZg.jpg

Furthermore...

"Allied plans to restore the property for retail use at grade and office use above grade."

Michael Emory, President & CEO. “We are sensitive to the heritage value of the property and look forward to restoring it accordingly.

There's certainly plenty of room to add a modern addition (tower?) on the adjacent parking lot, if that's part of this property.

They're wasting no time gutting the place. I noticed a bit of work on the site last week, and today there was a big bin in the parking lot. A notice was posted on the door (sorry for the crappy photo):
IMG_20140827_114625.jpg

Description of Project: "RESTORE EXTERIOR AND RENOVATE INTERIOR FOR OFFICES AND RETAIL USE"

With the hipsterization of Spadina, it could make for a nice boutique hotel with live music and such. However, I suspect something much larger.

something larger please!
Downtown does need boutique hotels, but not at such prominent intersections, maybe on smaller side streets. There are only a handful of wide enough streets such as Spadina to be able to accommodate larger and more impressive projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back